Pruning a Plum Tree

For some reason one of my plum trees has massive amounts of new growth. In previous years it has had very little new wood which is ideal for our small garden.
It has little or no fruit this year, last year it was loaded.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers Keith
--
Keith Batchelor

Keith Batchelor said:

Some fruit trees can develop a habit of alternate-year bearing.
Next year, be sure to thin out the fruit. If you don't, you will be "robbing" the harvest for the year after next.
And do some careful summer pruning now. This should check its growth a bit.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."