Potatoes Question

My potatoes bloomed and now there are round berry like things where the blooms were. What are these?

Reply to
nutNhoney

Potato fruits. Just pluck them off, since they are not good for anything. I suppose if there was a bunch of them they would take energy away from the plant and reduce your crop. Usually, only a few flowers get pollinated so you can leave them if you want.

Steve

nutNh> My potatoes bloomed and now there are round berry like things where the

Reply to
Steve

They are potato berries, inside of which are the potato seeds. If you harvest your own and try to grow them you will get very uneven results. However, more and more true potato seeds are becoming readily available. Google True Potato Seed for more info. We've grown a variety called Gilroy for the last few years with surprising results. Very slow growth for the first month to 6 weeks but, they really speed up after that with a good yield of nicely sized potatoes.

Ross.

Reply to
Ross Reid

Thanks Ross. I never knew potatoes had berries. This is the first I've seen them despite growing potatoes before. I'll collect a few just to see what will grow. Do I let the dry or can they be collected now?

Reply to
nutNhoney