Potato planting date

About how many days before the last frost date can potatoes be planted? TIA, allan

Reply to
Allan Matthews

Allan Matthews wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I dont know the answer to you question, but ideally you should have planted before now! I am in UK N.Lincs and have had mine earlies in for over a month now and maincrop about 3 weeks.

My dad always planted earlies on Good Friday and as we know that date can vary year to year but we always had new spuds a couple of weeks into June.

Good luck to you I think you will be successful if you make a start soon.

PtePike

Reply to
PtePike

21 days.
Reply to
Billy

Billy wrote in news:wildbilly- snipped-for-privacy@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au:

Mine will perish then?

I hope not

PtePike

Reply to
PtePike

Don't know where you are. Don't know how you treated your potato seeds. Don't know what potatoes you planted, but I doubt that you've done anything terminal. If worse comes to worse, wait until the top turn brown and dry, then see what ya got. I missed harvesting some of mine last year, this year they're on their way to becoming a weed, and escaping to the rest of the yard. I suspect that they are hard to kill.

Reply to
Billy

I am in upper New York State and our last frost is about June 1st or so.

Reply to
Allan Matthews

Dunno about that; didn't know there was a rule. Is there a rule? When I grow potatoes, it's those little thin-skinned red jobbies. Grow them in ditches and keep them well-mulched as they grow. Used to grow potataoes in barrels. Ditches is better, if one has the space: Don't have to dump a damned ditch and the spuds are still clean. I just wait for daytime temperatures to moderate, usually, some time in late December.

Reply to
balvenieman