Date the CU

Would the team like to guess the date of the Wylex CU with 100 mA RCD main switch

I don't have an answer but would be interested in opinions

Thanks

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

late 80s early 1990s

I base that on the fact that, around then, we had a meter moved (long story) and I changed the CU. The one I fitted, as best as I can recall, looked very like that. It was certainly a Wylex.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Post-1983 for 15th edition which introduced BS 4293 RCDs and pre-1992 for 16th edition 1st amendment where they became BS EN 61008, judging by the general look of the thing, I'd say the earlier end of that range ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

When I took away the shed the internal cu was a metal clad thing with one of those big lever switches on the side and a ceramic main structure inside. It was certainly built to last. I imagine it had been repurposed from when the main house had been rewired so it dated from 1939. It was really pristine inside but of course used fuse wire fuses, very un user friendly. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Its a Wylex NN style CU, with Type 2 MCBs rather than the modern lettered types. So probably mid 80's at the oldest, and possibly up to early 90's at the newest.

Reply to
John Rumm

Very precise, I was thinking just pre 15th Edition, but the implementation of the 15th was delayed by a few years.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

My garage still has a 3-phase, metal-clad isolator with BS88 fuses for each contact. When I moved in, the garage was fed by a piece of T&E with no physical protection and with two contacts of the isolator cutting both live and neutral. I have since re-wired it with a SWA feed cable, fed from an MCB and RCD (new CU in house) and used two contacts to split the live - one fused 20A for the sockets and the other 4A for the lights.

I should change it for a small CU with breakers, but I never have to touch it at all normally and have only had to isolate it once when I was adding more sockets and lights.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Wylex started to use NSB MCBs instead of NB's in the mid to late 80s.

Reply to
ARW