Picking the garden

Page 2 of 3
On 06/09/2016 05:49 PM, songbird wrote:

You cut the top of a dandelion (the only one I will not chop at with my axe) and they will grow back and back and back. Them I pickle.
Death to weeds, except purslane, which is yummy!
T wrote: ...

keep finding other plants to try instead, from bulk seed, radish, daikon radish, the leaves/sprouts are good at first too. :)
songbird
On 06/11/2016 04:19 AM, songbird wrote:

Is there a good tasting radish? The ones I get from the store have zero taste and are only hot.
On 6/13/2016 7:53 PM, T wrote:

just like the ones we grew fifty years ago. Some how hot radishes became the standard but we never liked those anyway.
On 06/13/2016 06:33 PM, George Shirley wrote:

Thank you!
On 06/13/2016 06:33 PM, George Shirley wrote:

Which ones do you like? http://www.rareseeds.com/search/?F_Keyword=radish
On 6/13/2016 9:15 PM, T wrote:

hotness of radishes can be caused by letting them get to big. I prefer them when young and sweet.
On 06/13/2016 07:28 PM, George Shirley wrote:

These two:
http://www.rareseeds.com/long-scarlet-radis/?F_Keyword=radish http://www.rareseeds.com/china-rose-radi/?F_Keyword=radish
The china rose one like cold weather too!
I wonder if it is too late to try this year? Our growing season is really short. Early October comes the first freeze.
Thank you!

...Most radishes (other than some "storage" varieties) are ready to eat 3 weeks after planing, more or less.
On 06/14/2016 05:02 PM, Ecnerwal wrote:

Wow. They grow that fast?
Do they like poor sandy soil?
T wrote: ...radishes...
yes, the grow quickly... :)

dunno, i never put them in the gardens that have that type of soil. they'd probably grow if they got enough water. might not have much flavor.
note that some radishes are excellent for busting into hard packed ground. they are often included in a mix of seeds people around here use to seed a pasture. diakon radish. they can get pretty big too.
songbird
On 6/17/2016 11:26 AM, songbird wrote:

About burned my taste buds off my tongue. I found them hotter than horse radish, when daikon must be kin to.
George, in hot, humid, SE Texas
George Shirley wrote: ...

i just sprout 'em and eat the sprouts, after a few weeks i may chop 'em under and replant if i want more but usually i'm too busy and forget about it. :)
songbird
On 06/19/2016 01:17 PM, songbird wrote:

Would this work on my devastated radish patch now that I have the earwigs on the run? Just replant?
T wrote: ...

the radishes may recover, but yeah, you can also replant. they sprout and grow quickly, just not sure how well they will do in the very hot weather. pick, 'em as soon as they get big enough, would be my guess.
the daikons here are already a foot high. nice tap root. :) too hot for me to eat now. i just like the sprouts.
songbird
On 6/26/2016 5:42 AM, songbird wrote:

area. We're getting some mid-afternoon temps up to 100F, hopefully it will get hotter in July and I won't be going outside for awhile.
I'm thinking of planting some New Zealand spinach again. It took three years to get rid of them in Louisiana but the leaves are tasty and they carry a goodly load of vitamins. Dear wife might try to off me if I do.
George
On 06/26/2016 04:37 AM, George Shirley wrote:

The crinkly stuff that won't fit well in packing containers and won't be sold or the flat shippable stuff in the stores?
Does it taste better than the store stuff? Is the oxalic acid lower?
On 6/26/2016 5:01 PM, T wrote:

know it's tasty, seldom dies back in my climate, and that it drops a lot of seeds. The leaves get about as big as an American quarter so it takes a lot of picking to make a mess.
On 06/26/2016 03:42 AM, songbird wrote:

Hi Songbird,
You know you guys could really hose me I know so little about this stuff. Radish tops from the store are AWFUL. So, I am trusting you are not pulling my leg here!
Thank you! -T
On 6/26/2016 4:59 PM, T wrote:

pretty serious.