Pepper or squash?

We have a bit of a quandry. Picked up a 4-cell pack of transplants with this tag:

is of peppers and the picture definitely shows the calyx and stem of peppers. But, the planting instructions are more for squash-type plants plus the leaves on the plants are squash-like rather than pepper-type leaves. The tag contains no information as to the the grower. The plants were purchased at the garden center of a big box store so asking the staff there would be a total waste of time. They got planted in the squash part of the garden so I guess we'll just have to wait and see what they produce.

Ross Southern Ontario, Canada. Ag Canada Zone 5B

Reply to
Ross

Yes the planting instructions are for a curcurbit and the photo is of a pepper. If you had posted a photo of what you actually have instead of the label it would be easy to determine which it is. Did you not have your coffee that morning? If you use google images to find some pictures of each you ought to be able to work it out yourself, the two types have quite different characteristics even as little seedlings.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Pepper squash is also known as acorn squash, so someone who labeled may have inadvertently included squash instructions. The photo, however, is of squash peppers.

Slight invert of the words and the error may have been avoided.

Of course, not everyone who shows up here is a veggie expert, nor interested in nor skilled with google.

And not all those who reply to such questions are pricks, either.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

I am going out on a limb here, but going from my own experience if you have planted these in the squash part of the garden then they will be peppers.

Mike

Reply to
Bloke Down The Pub

I didn't think entering 'squash' or 'pepper' into a search engine was rocket science but maybe it is where you come from. Once you get some images to compare blind Freddy can tell one from the other. If you see that as being expert territory I suggest you stop giving advice because you are a newby yourself.

You take much on yourself issuing insults like that when the suggestions that I gave actually lead to a) finding a solution and b) the OP learning something.

Of course if you think that posting a pic of the label suspected to be in error instead of the unknown plant to be identified is a good effort at self help that would explain why you think using the ubiquitous google is so hard. My record here shows I am willing to help people but that doesn't mean that they must be spoon fed and cosseted.

David Hare-Scott

Thanks for the most gracious reply. Yes, I had my one cup of coffee that morning as I do every morning. Although I am unfamiliar with the *curcurbit* to which you refer, I am fully aware of the herbaceous structure of both Cucurbitaceae and Piperaceae seedlings, having grown both for the last 50+ years. My post was more tongue-in-cheek about whether Monsanto or perhaps Cargill were into the business of gene splicing these two vegetables for some new source of revenue. I apologize for the lack of emoticons in my original post.

Ross. Southern Ontario, Canada. Ag Canada Zone 5B

Reply to
Ross

Sounds like you got a mix of squash hot peppers.

...And wherever Monsanto sees a profit in fouling the gene pool, that's what they're going to do.

-- I find myself hoping that one of their gene splicing efforts goes wrong and the crop eats the researchers.

Reply to
phorbin