OT...Got Garden? Daily Food Crisis in the News

Page 3 of 4
On Apr 25, 7:14 pm, Charlie wrote:

Thanx, Charlie. My propane powered ISP (26K) precludes my being able to look at videos.
That 1100 fps sounds pretty good, but those raptor pellets put out 11.2 lb/in2 -- kinda low for me.
Of course, I am dealing with a pretty cheap punp-it-up gun. I see that there are some pretty sophisticated ones out there that I can charge from the compressor in the barn and chop down oak trees.
cheers
oz
In article

Check this website:
http://www.adventuresinairguns.com /

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

That deer hunt is interesting, but the 50 cal ball is somewhat larger than I am used to. Looks like some really sophisticated stuff around that I was unaware of. If I were going that big, I would probably stir up my own black powder and cast my own bullets :-)
cheers
oz, who is almost too old to draw his bow*, but still manages a deer with it on lucky days.
*and no puns from you with dirty minds.
In article

It is pretty amazing what air rifles are out there now. :-)

<lol> I totally understand! My dad loves his black powder rifle and pistol. I like my Bushmaster Varminter. It's guts are AR-15 so it's easy to care for and it's built for long distance shooting. My current top shot with it on prairie dog os 430 yards. It fires .223 but the muzzle velocity is 3,200 fps.
For deer tho', I'd use the Winchester model 88 .308 lever action.

<giggles> Bow hunting deer is quite a good skill. I'm not that good with those!

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

...realizing I am getting further and further off topic.....but WTH......
I used to think I was a pretty good hunter when I lived in CO,WY,ID,WA,and OR. What I actually was was a good marksman. I found, in the NW coastal rainforest and, later, when I moved to the Ozarks, I had no idea how to HUNT. Took me a while in the woods to figure it out. That is when I started using a bow and a Win 94.

Excellent rifle! Back in the late 50's, when I finally had enough money to buy a rifle, as a leftie, I almost got one, but ended up with a Sav 110L left hand bolt. I often wish I had gotten the 88.

If you can draw a compound of 50 or so pounds, surprisingly little practice will have you hitting a paper plate at 30 yds 3 out of 5.
cheers
oz, who, as a teen, went out frogging with the state champion (long bow) archer. I positioned the boat so he could skewer them on logs. Fantastic!
In article

Indeed. ;-) My hand-loading guru talked me into prairie dog hunting the second week in April. I felt like such an evil bitch, but I learned a lot about long distance precision shooting with the BV. My best shot was 430 yards, but most were made at about 300 yards.
I did bring home some wild rabbit meat tho'... so not all was a waste.

There are different modes of hunting. ;-) What you are doing is REAL hunting. Learning to stalk. Well done!

Dad gave it to me for my 16th birthday. As hard as it kicks, it's one of my favorite guns. I'm learning to handload for it. .308 is pricey now. As is most ammo. :-(

I took archery in college so I understand the concept. I'd just have to PRACTICE!

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Step Aside Dollar, Is Rice the New Global Currency?
http://alternet.org/audits/83345 /
Excerpt:
Never before in history has hunger become a global threat in a period of plentiful harvests. Global rice production will hit a record of 423 million tons in the 2007-2008 crop year, enough to satisfy global demand. The trouble is that only 7% of the world's rice supply is exported, because local demand is met by local production. Any significant increase in rice stockpiles cuts deeply into available supply for export, leading to a spike in prices. Because such a small proportion of the global rice supply trades, the monetary shock from the weak dollar was sufficient to more than double its price.
It is not only rice, of course, that the cash-rich countries of the world are buying as a store of value; the price of wheat, soy and other grains has risen almost as fast. This might deal the death-blow to America's hapless efforts to stabilize the Middle East, where a higher proportion of impoverished people eat off state subsidies than in any other part of the world. Egypt has been the anchor for American diplomacy in the Arab world since the Jimmy Carter administration (1977 to 1981), and is most susceptible to hunger. Food prices have risen by 145% in Lebanon and by 20% in Syria this year. Iraqis depend on food subsidies financed by American aid.

"We're a little disorganized." ;-)
Charlie

<snork> Indeed...

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

<snicker>
I called my sister to see what she wants me to store. We have a bunch of storage cabinets on the sun porch, and I think I can combine or get rid of some of the stuff stored out there to make some space.
Cabela's is also having an ammo sale. <g>

Also be sure to clean, dry and store what seeds you can from grocery items such as winter squashes. The grocery store beans also grow rather well. I've done that. :-)

:-)
Yes. I started cutting "luxury" spending a couple of years ago so I'm in better shape right now. I'm considering cashing in some mutual funds to pay off the house, altho' I'm a bit loath to do that as I'd have to pay tax on that "income".

Indeed. Cheers!

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Ahhhh.......ya' didn't have to tell me that...anything on sale at Cabelas ends up costing me more cuz I always find other things that I *need*. Been looking at a new pair of boots, a large expediton tent, new rainwear........
I've also been eyeballin' the new line of air rifles that shoot 1600fps with the raptor pellets........good for urbanhunting! ;-)

Me too!

It's kinda like an adventure. ;-) Hope this one ends well!
They are gonna have their pound of flesh whatever way they can, eh?

Exactly! Attitude is all important!
Keep on smilin' Charlie

Use your points. <g>
A lot of the ammo that is on sale is running price-wise about what it was last summer.

Yeah. I need to seriously look at some of the more serious air guns. Some of them are very powerful! Enough to take down an elk.
It would certainly save on ammo. :-)

<snork> This one is scaring me.Inflation is NOT keeping up with wage increases anymore.

F-ers. :-(

Keep a sense of humor and save wherever you can!
Asian markets are wonderful.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Whoa....I forgot about the points! I just hollered at Mona and she says we have $174. Yessir, time to think about how to best use 'em!

That's surprising, given the price of metals now. Yep, time to order.

Check out the link in the other post to you, though you likely have been droolin' on that page already. ;-)

Hell yeah.

I know what you mean and feel.
Wage increases are few and far between in my work. If I recall correctly, you are a labrat. Bringing in the big bucks for the "healthcare" provider, whilst slaving away with little increase. I deal with hospitals, doctors, pharmacies, the healthcare assembly line all the time. DIL is pediatric LPN. No independant doctors left in the county, only two FNPs who are only as independant as FNPs are. The best DDS in many counties around just lost his OR/hospital privileges...don't have the full story yet, but good for him. Likely wouldn't dance. 'Nuff said.

Carpe Diem.....hang on and ENJOY!!!
Charlie
"You just caught me on a good night. I'm doing what I was made to do - and I've got a feeling I'm going to do it even better this time" - Captain Billy Tyne

I used up my $64.00 in points getting ready for that hunting trip a couple of weeks ago. <G> Cabela's Visa. It's a good thing! I'm considering using it for gas. In store purchases are a 2% return for points, outside purchases are 1% return and carry a higher interest rate that does not matter if you pay it off monthly.
I've been using debit for gas. I quit using gas cards about 6 months ago.

It was a sale. :-)

I did look at it. There are specific scopes too for air rifles. Their recoil is different and it will destroy most rifle scopes, so if you do get one, be sure to get a scope designed for air rifles. If you google for scopes, it will say Air Rifle scopes.

Just when I thought I was getting ahead of the rat race, along came faster rats.

Yep. I'm lucky to get 3% to 4% per annum.

We just got sold to Santa Rosa, so the purse strings have been loosened a little, but it's still tight.

Carpe Nostrum...
;-D

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
Hi All,
Charlie wrote:

Theoben make a so called Dampa mount which is suposed to absorb the recoil of an air rifle. Weather it would be of any use on a rifle that powerfull I do not know. We do not have air rifle`s that power full in the U. K. I did try to find a web site, I am sure they have one. U. K. phone no = Theoben 01487 740 744 . Hope this helps you.
Richard M. Watkin.

It'd have to help the other poster. :-) I can pretty much get anything I need/want in Texas...

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

"You can get anything you want, at Alice's Restaurant..." ~~ Arlo
Sorry ;-) I'll go back to the garden now!
Charlie

I see that the article that I was lookin' for isn't on the menu;-) Dang, again.
--

Billy

<grins>

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
Charlie wrote:

I stopped at their Prairie du Chien, WI store on my way to the Seed Saver's Exchange meet a couple of summers ago (I'd forgotten to pack my LED flashlight). _Barely_ survived a major attack of "kid in the candy store" syndrome.

<snicker> I feel your pain. ;-D