OT...Got Garden? Daily Food Crisis in the News

It is pretty amazing what air rifles are out there now. :-)

I totally understand! My dad loves his black powder rifle and pistol. I like my Bushmaster Varminter. It's guts are AR-15 so it's easy to care for and it's built for long distance shooting. My current top shot with it on prairie dog os 430 yards. It fires .223 but the muzzle velocity is 3,200 fps.

For deer tho', I'd use the Winchester model 88 .308 lever action.

Bow hunting deer is quite a good skill. I'm not that good with those!

Reply to
Omelet

...realizing I am getting further and further off topic.....but WTH......

I used to think I was a pretty good hunter when I lived in CO,WY,ID,WA,and OR. What I actually was was a good marksman. I found, in the NW coastal rainforest and, later, when I moved to the Ozarks, I had no idea how to HUNT. Took me a while in the woods to figure it out. That is when I started using a bow and a Win 94.

Excellent rifle! Back in the late 50's, when I finally had enough money to buy a rifle, as a leftie, I almost got one, but ended up with a Sav 110L left hand bolt. I often wish I had gotten the 88.

If you can draw a compound of 50 or so pounds, surprisingly little practice will have you hitting a paper plate at 30 yds 3 out of 5.

cheers

oz, who, as a teen, went out frogging with the state champion (long bow) archer. I positioned the boat so he could skewer them on logs. Fantastic!

Reply to
MajorOz

Indeed. ;-) My hand-loading guru talked me into prairie dog hunting the second week in April. I felt like such an evil bitch, but I learned a lot about long distance precision shooting with the BV. My best shot was

430 yards, but most were made at about 300 yards.

I did bring home some wild rabbit meat tho'... so not all was a waste.

There are different modes of hunting. ;-) What you are doing is REAL hunting. Learning to stalk. Well done!

Dad gave it to me for my 16th birthday. As hard as it kicks, it's one of my favorite guns. I'm learning to handload for it. .308 is pricey now. As is most ammo. :-(

I took archery in college so I understand the concept. I'd just have to PRACTICE!

Reply to
Omelet