New green tent post.

I didn't want to hijack the green tent post. So I started this one. But the thought crossed my mind that it might be possible to have lettuce all summer if I had a sun shield of some sort.
Anyone think its possible to have lettuce with sun shielding.
Diesel.

DogDiesel wrote:

I have no idea. Why can't you have lettuce all year now ? What do you mean by a sun shield and what do you think it will do?

Lettuce bolts from the heat. You cant grow it when its hot. Its spring or fall only. I got about 1 month of the bomb lettuce. Couldn't eat it all. In April or May And by June it was bolted.
DogDiesel wrote:

I thought that might be it but I keep making wrong guesses lately so I asked. Yes a sun shade will help, try 50% shade cloth during the hot months. Make sure you mulch heavily to keep the roots cool (and save water) and keep the water up to them on hot days. I don't think you will eliminate the problem but it will improve.
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 00:54:41 -0400, DogDiesel wrote:

You could perhaps grow some pole beans or other climbers and have that shade your lettuce.
Much prettier than shade cloth.