New Blueberry 'Bluecrop' - new leaves wilting & "beads" of sap(?) on other leaves

Hi Everyone!

I just bought a 3 new blueberry plants from a nursery last week. I started an edible container garden & am planning on planting each blueberry plant into separate containers.

Anyway, one of the blueberry plants was bought in a 2 gallon container. I have not transplanted it yet. I was examining it & noticed that there were some beads of sap(?) or some liquid... like dew at the edges of some of the leaves. Also, the new leaves were shriveled up & dry & almost falling off, & the attachment point to the rest of the plant had turned black.

I took some pictures.

  1. The following picture shows withered new leaves at the top of 2 branches.
    snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=/ee58&.dnm=4b72.jpg

  1. The following picture shows the beads of liquid at the bottom of a leaf. You can also see withered new leaves in the background.
    snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=/ee58&.dnm=e704.jpg

  2. Another view.
    snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=/ee58&.dnm=4b72.jpg

I checked for insects. My tomato plants had some aphids & a few other bugs on them. This particular blueberry plant didn't have any bugs... just a few ants.

I'd appreciate any insight into what's going on.

Thanks! HJ

Reply to
hjl

It really looks like the normal beating plants take being moved. Smack them around in the car, drag them in the house, change of exposure etc. Now for the real important question for growing blueberries- What is your soil pH?

Reply to
Beecrofter

i took that plant back to the nursery & got a new one. the nursery folks said that the plant's just gone dry & then overwatered & that it's healthy but complaining. in any case, the new one seems to be doing a lot better.

i bought acid planting mix from the nursery. i expect that pH is fine... although, i was surprised at how acidic the planting mix smelled... but nursery folks say that's fine.

Reply to
hjl