Meyers Lemons

I just bought a Meyers Lemon tree from Park Seed Company. I received a

2 year old tree in a one gallon pot. Although, the plant was in good shape, the pot was crushed a little and would not stand on it's own. I repotted in a 2 gallon pot immediately, using Miracle Grow potting soil. The plant has a lot of beautiful white/purple flowers. I am wondering, how often should I water? I see many different suggestions on the web, so am a little confused. So far, I have bottom watered every other day. But, now I'm hearing that maybe I should only water once a week?? SHould I use any extra fertilizer along with the Miracle Grow soil? Someone please help. Also, when should I expect to see fruit? I live in Silver Spring, MD, so the plant is indoors for now. I'm hoping to get it outdoors in the next couple of weeks for the summer.

Thanks! Jay

Reply to
NOLAguyXM

Jay,

I'm not an expert on citrus, but I do have a few producing trees in my yard. I've been told that citrus is a water as needed plant and we only feel the need to water our established trees when we go through an extended dry spell. My Duncan grapefruit is in a pot (I can't bear to put it in the ground as we may be moving in the next couple of years) and we water about twice a week.

As for fruit setting, if your flowers have been fertilized you should start to see miniature fruit within a few weeks. Some of the fruit on our Meyer is already an inch or more in diameter after fruiting late Feb. / early March. We usually get ripe fruit from November through January.

Hope that helps.

David

Reply to
David

Thanks David!

I will begin watering a little less frequently, as that is what I'm gathering from many sources. Also, I did notice tonight what looked to be the beginnings of about 6 lemons, so I'll keep a close watch over the next few weeks. Also, I noticed a few "thorns" from the main branch, mostly just below clusters of flowers. Is this normal? Should I prune these, or is this a sign of something wrong?

Jay

Reply to
NOLAguyXM

Nothing wrong there - lemon trees have thorns (and they can puncture any garden glove I've used, so be careful).

Good Luck, David

Reply to
David

Most of the flowers have fallen, and I now have the beginnings of about

12 lemons. Looking good so far.

Jay

Reply to
NOLAguyXM