Maggots

Worked my rabbit manure mine today. My free range buns poop everywhere so it would be impossible to collect their poop without a plan. My setup includes a 2'X3' cage with plastic bottom. I put rabbit pellets in there daily and my buns deposit their pellets when they eat. It took all winter but there was 3" worth of poop.

While scooping the little balls of poop into buckets I saw half dozen white worms which I think might be maggots. It was one here and another there and so on. There are flies now after the past few warm days.

The poop didn't have any smell till I got pass the top layer. The top was dried but the bottom was urine soaked and a bit stinky. The bottom pellets was also white. Don't know if it's fungi or if it's calcium. I didn't inspect them close up as I wasn't that curious. Filled 3 five gallon buckets.

Hope this poop is as good as chicken shit. Last year I had some pretty big bitter melons grown on a hill of 2 year old chicken poop.

Reply to
James

I think the white residue is salt or other minerals: calcium etc. I've seen that too. Also, I've notice poops get mold on them when they are damp. I bag up Cocoa's for the composter.

Reply to
Arlette & Cocoa

I would be very careful leaving the poops long enough to develop maggots ... They are usually fatal if they crawl into your bunnies.

It is really good fertilizer ...

Reply to
scGram

quoted text -

I collect poops up and put them on my house plants which grow really well, so yes, it most certainly is a good fertiliser. I too would not be leaving them alone long enough for maggots to get into them.

Ros and the Varmints

Reply to
RosL