Lemon Balm

Anybody grow lemon balm before? Did yours have some pink leaves and stems that were pink at their base? Did the lemon balm have a distinct lemon flavor when it was small?

- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
Billy Rose

Billy Rose expounded:

I'll go out and look at it in the morning. Lemon balm is the herb of the year for the Herb Society of America. Here's some info til then

please, Billy, stop feeding those damned trolls! Snip crossposts.

Reply to
Ann

My lemon balm has a distinct lemon smell in all sizes, even the tiny guys. It is invasive so don't plant it where you don't want it forever. Mine has migrated to the lawn even.

Regarding pink leaves, I don't think mine has ever been pink though that might depend on soil and sun conditions.

I love the plant, mostly because of its crisp green color and the delightful lemon smell. Though I do use it for tea occasionally, my favorite practical use is to put it in the garbage disposal for the wonderful smell, especially if something not so pleasant was put in the disposal, even the fish smell is overridden with it.

kids!

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose

Honest, I try only to feed my cute little tree rats. It must be spring because they are chasing each other up and down the cable TV wire and up and down the poles. Something must have happened to my chosen little tree rat. I put out a walnut every morning for her/him but after a couple of years my tree rat stopped coming, about two months ago. He/she would always come before 8 o'clock AM. Now the nut just sits there sometimes until the afternoon. I can't help but wonder what ever happened to my little squirrel. They are so cute.

- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
Billy Rose

Pinkish when stressed. Lemon flavor more pronounced when growing a bit on the dry side. Quite invasive. I used to plant it under the hose bibb so it'd get stepped on regularly -- kept it in check a bit.

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

I had a variegated one at one time - that was green and cream though. I managed to kill it off though C

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Billy Rose wrote in news:rosefam-209C79.18231211062007 @cor8-ppp5025.per.dsl.connect.net.au:

No.

Yes.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Cheryl Isaak wrote in news:C293EDCE.6A15B% snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

I've only seen variegated Pineapple Mint. I'd love to find a vari Lemon Mint.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Lemon Balm is the Kudzu of the herb world, after planting a cute little

4" pot of it the m> Billy Rose wrote in news:rosefam-209C79.18231211062007
Reply to
Pat Royal

Billy Rose dropped this turd news:rosefam- snipped-for-privacy@cor8-ppp5025.per.dsl.connect.net.au: in rec.gardens

Well, I planted it once. It got huge and I don't recall pink leaves so much as the invasive nature of it. It had very lemony aroma and I liked it but it took over the garden so I gave it to the neighbor. She has a big space and let it grow. I'll take a look at it next time I'm over there and check out the pink.

Michael

Reply to
Michael "Dog3" Lonergan

Billy Rose expounded:

Sorry to get back to this so late. Yes, some pink leaves, but not on all the seedlings, and yes, there is a distinct lemon flavor. These seedlings all had three to four sets of leaves, or fewer.

Reply to
Ann

Well that's a start. Thanks for looking. Mine taste like a weed. Just a plain, simple, nondescript weed. I wonder what the heck I planted and why? Thanks again.

- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
Billy Rose

Billy Rose wrote in news:rosefam- snipped-for-privacy@cor8-ppp5025.per.dsl.connect.net.au:

Cockscomb has red stalks and the bottom leaves are a bit pinkish.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

In article , FragileWarrior

Reply to
Billy Rose

Judging by the tone and content of some of your recent posts, I suspect Jimson Weed.

Or maybe it's just something else.

Reply to
Charlie