Just plain mint?

My mother has asked me to grow her some mint for her iced tea. She said she doesn't want peppermint, spearmint, or anything like that, she wants "just plain mint."
So, would that be _Mentha arvensis_?
A google of "common mint" also turns up _Menthe cordifolia_ as well.
And I'm getting Menth* with both an "e" and an "a"
Do we have any mint experts here?
Penelope
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:30:20 -0500, Penelope Periwinkle

I think it's spearmint that you want.
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

Menthe cordifolia (Mentha cordifolia) and Menta spicata (spearmint) are the same species. Spearmint is the common or garden mint or if you prefer "just plain mint".
http://www.itis.gov/servlet/SingleRpt/SingleRpt?search_topic=TSN&search_valueQ6994 http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=MESP3
GreenieLeBrun wrote:

http://www.itis.gov/servlet/SingleRpt/SingleRpt?search_topic=TSN&search_valueQ6994
Opps! that should read Mentha spicata not Menta spicata
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

"Just plain mint" would be spearmint. (You don't have to tell your mother that.) HTH :-)
Bob

Seconded... ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Yeah, but my mother specifically said she doesn't want spearmint. So, I'm back to square one. I'm thinking the _Mentha Arvensis_ is what she wants. Hmmm, a quick google turns up wild mint, field mint, or corn mint as common names.
http://www.missouriplants.com/Blueopp/Mentha_arvensis_page.html
I think you all for clarifying that spearmint is common mint.
Penelope

Lie babe.
It works.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
<...>

The cat would sorta be out of the bag when she tasted it. She knows what flavor she wants, she just doesn't know which mint produces it.
Penelope
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

Is there a health food store nearby that sells bulk herbs? Buy some dried spearmint, apple mint, and bee balm (also called bergamot), and let your mom try them and see which is closest. (I bet it's the spearmint or the bee balm)
If you are really luck, they will have spearmint that is just labeled "mint". ;-)
Bob
Well, I do agree with the many others who have said just plain mint is spearmint.
If that just won't do for mom, then take a look at the varities listed at Richters. Perhaps one of those descriptions will point you and mom to what she wants. I've ordered from them with great success.
http://tinyurl.com/ymapce
marcella
Marcella Peek wrote:

It says on their site that peppermint can't be grown from seeds. Years ago, I planted some seeds labeled as peppermint, and they tasted just like peppermint. I wonder what I planted if not peppermint?
Sue
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:30:20 -0500, Penelope Periwinkle

Did you get my e-mail?
--
Susan N.