Just another onion question

I finally went outside and looked at my garden boxes today- and, woo, my lettuces are finally sprouting and coming above ground! I got a better germination rate than I thought, and i'll definitely be doing some thinning out when the time comes.
However, i planted onion sets at the same time- some in each of my garden boxes (to help ward off insects, etc) but none of them seem to be sprouting. Am I being too impatient? I put the lettuce and the onions in ground at the same time, roughly 2 and a half weeks ago. How long should I wait for the onions to show above ground before i should plant some more sets, and consider the older plantings a loss? I'm still new to the whole onion thing, and while my seedlings inside are doing well, I'm lost on the onions!
I may have put the first planting too deep, and fixed that by laying another set closer to the surface in another box- I figure at least one of them will come up.
--
coykiesaol

coykiesaol wrote:

I put onions out a couple of weeks ago , planted 3" deep for green onions . You don't say where you are , but here in Memphis Tn I've got green shoots about 3" tall now . The ones I planted a month ago are also doing well . Now if my strawberries would only show some green , I'd be pleased ... -- Snag Learning keeps you young !