ID possible problems

I've posted four photos at the site below (let me know if the link doesn't work).

The first two are Bell pepper plants that have a yellow-lime green discolouration on the outer part of the leaf. The third pic is the cucumber that has some white spots and the celery in the fourth pic also has some white spots (powdery mildew?). This is my first time growing these plants. Just curious if these are normal or cause for concern.

I've used a little potato dust on the pepper (and tomatoes in the same greenhouse) cause it has been humid. I used a baking soda/water solution on the celery and cucumber.

..

Reply to
cloud dreamer

White stuff on cucumbers and celery doesn/t look like powdery mildew to me. My first inclination is to rub it off with a finger and see what happens.

The pepper looks like it has a nutrient problem evidenced by the green veins and is more serious. I might try a foliar feeding and hope for the best.

Reply to
TQ

Thanks...I'll try that.

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East

Reply to
cloud dreamer

It almost looks a bit like sunburn to me. (It didn't look to me like the very newest leaves were that distorted, but you were favoring the older leaves in the pics, so I'm not sure that impression is correct.) Did they ever get very wilted before being watered?

I'd give the plants a nice foliar feed with kelp and keep my eye on them. Avoid touching the effected plants (on the off chance that this is a virus disease which you could then spread to other plants).

It looks more like the remains of a watery bird dropping. Does the white stuff wash off? (It certainly doesn't look like mildew.)

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

I took a closer look today and it was the older leaves that are yellowing. The most recent leaves on top are still quite green. The plants are in a greenhouse and we've had some nice weather, so the sunburn explanation certainly fits. It's been cloudy since those top leaves came out and they're fine. I'll rig up a bit of shade cloth for them. I've also given them a foliar feeding just in case.

The stuff does rub off. I'll check back later today to see if it reappeared. They're also in a greenhouse so it's definitely not bird do-do (but does look like it). The plants seem healthy except for a bit of curling on some of the leaves, so I'll not worry for now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East

Reply to
cloud dreamer

I'd put money on it being a bird dropping - it's definitely not mildew.

--

squeezeweasel

thrip damage. The up curling leaf edges make me suspecious. The second looks more like sunburn, though.

hope for your sake it's the sunburn.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle