Ice inside planters

I buried several of my young trees in pots in my garden for the winter. These are all plastic pots which have filled with the melted snow, to the brim. With the varying temperatures we are experiencing, some of this water has refrozen. Will this ice layer atop the soil in any way harm the plants? Should I make extra efforts to remove it?

Sherwin D.

Reply to
sherwindu

winter.

I doubt it. Ice is a good insulator. They are better off with the ice than without.

Reply to
simy1

It may be a good insulator, but don't the roots need air, even if they are somewhat dormant?

Sherw> sherw> > I buried several of my young trees in pots in my garden for the > winter.

Reply to
sherwindu

but the pot drains freely, right? so there is air. And if the pot is frozen solid (depending on how cold it has been in chicago), then probably the ice on top makes no difference.

Reply to
simy1