I feel so sorry for you folks in cold climate areas.

Page 2 of 2

I'm sure wishing this rain would stop. I'm getting anxious to be out there digging in the dirt. Beautiful day today but rain is supposed to be back tomorrow night.
Sue - northern part of the SJV
Isn't this weather bizarre? We get 5" rain in one year and in 5 days, we already had 1". I harvested and planted in March but the plants have been affected by the cooler than normal temps. It's supposed to rain most of next week too... kids are home on spring break. No baseball camp if it rains. Ugh

What did you plant? All I have in the ground right now are potatoes and the peas you told me it was too late to plant (I wasn't doing anything else with that area and it was little effort so I figured what the heck). I have quite a bit of work to do before I can get to the tomatoes, zukes and bell peppers. I'm also going to do bush beans although it may be too late for them, too. Yesterday, our one nice day, I had to mow the lawns and work on pruning this big tree I have right next to the regular garden plot. The branches grow out over the plot thereby not allowing full sun onto about 1/2 the area. I don't get real excited climbing an 8' ladder and stretching out to saw off the limbs. Of course, before the garden growing season is over the danged tree has put out the branches and leaves. I can't keep sawing them off because the tree is right next to the plot and there's no place to put the ladder other than where the plants will be. I can't bring myself to have the tree removed. I'm moving my tomatoes this year - about 8 blocks east to my gentleman friend's backyard. He has a really nice raised bed. Hopefully, I'll have more success this year than in the past couple - lots of bush, few tomatoes.

It's cloudy again today. Supposed to rain a bit. The cotton farmers around here (and probably down where you are) are starting to get pretty worried. Ah, I do remember when my kids were young - hoping for good weather so they could get out of the house. My 16 yr old granddaughter plays softball and they haven't been able to play any games yet. Keep dry Sue

It rained today. Very nice this morning and started this afternoon. Yeah, the cotton is late getting in the ground. Right now, I have various cukes, bush beans, various squash, potatoes (my first time). Other areas have corn and tomatoes.\ I'll put a couple tomato plants in and that's it.
It's not too late for beans. They're a warm season crop. It's too late to plant peas here. Normally, they're already all gone. A few years ago, all my cool season crops bolted in January. I was NOT happy. But it happens.
My daughter is almost 9, left handed, playing softball. She's learning to pitch... so she takes pitching lessons and fielding lessons. We've had a few games but at least 4 cancelled due to bad weather. The girls play in worse conditions than the boys... since there's no clay on their fields. The boys, if there's a drop of rain, the games a no go cuz the clay. It's pretty funny. My son is 10 and a catcher. He pitches too but catching is what he's really good at. Does your daughter play highschool or ASA? We're in ASA right now. We played bobby sox the first year and it was so poorly organized and in a bad part of town, we changed. I'm not happy w/her coaches this year. They don't give the girls any credit and haven't taught them anything. There's been at least 5 fat lips cuz they don't even know how to show the girls how to catch a ball. No throwing drills to strengthen their arm, nothing. Not even instruction on why you can tag the bag on this play but have to tag the player on the next. No pitching or catching instruction. NOTHING. It's ridiculous. So, that means, next year, I'm coaching. It's hard cuz I have lupus and dedicating myself to something like that. Hopefully, hubby will help and we can combine practices and just run 2 together. take care Nicole