I eat slugs in my garden

Saves a lot of money, your garden is full of life, slugs,snails,ants,worms,flies - taste great !
Stan J. Lefosi wrote:

Just in case somebody doesn't recognize this as the troll it is:
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_830525.html
Henriette
--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed

I agree that it is probably a troll- but from the scientific article in the Medical Journal of Australia http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/179_08_201003/sen10389_fm.html it appears that the slugs that lad ate were infected & that cooking them would probably have killed the disease. [much like the many diseases that can be contracted by clams, oysters & scallops- but that are eliminated by cooking.]
The US National Park Service mentions the edibility of slugs on this page; http://www.nps.gov/alcatraz/nature3.html
There is a recipe for Slug Fritters at http://pub154.ezboard.com/fbuffratsfrm7.showMessage?topicIDb.topic
Don't sign me up for eating slugs though, whether they are cooked or raw.
Jim
In our last fun filled episode, Tue, 04 Nov 2003 09:31:41 +0200,

Troll!? I was going to invite the silly bastard ...er..lucky fellow over to the banquet in my garden and only charge him a minimal fee. My free range slugs are all organically grown on the finest and most delicately flavored leaves of lettuce, kale, and spinach with lovely, fragrant flowers for dessert so that their flesh is tender and juicy even at the two and three inch size.
Pam
Stan J. Lefosi wrote:

It's not at all shocking, throughout history and different cultures all kinds of gross looking bugs, insects and things have been eaten... The french still eat snails fried in butter with herbs, and out in Thailand you can buy canned crickets, beatles, ants eggs and even scorpions! The grosses thing I've heard is people in South America eat whole roasted tarantulas in their skins... Now that was disgusting. Not to mention the time I went to a Japanese restaraunt not far from Covent gardens and they had whole stir fryed baby squid, they looked vile with their greasy tenticles hanging everywhere and the one person brave (or foolish) enough to try it was eating them like the inner tube of a car tire...
Now that was disgusting. Not to mention

Fried squid is so commonly eaten that it isnt considered strange. One item I eat that I always get a blank stare is conch. I dont think many people know what lives in those shells that most only see on a Caribbean vacation.
http://www.natureislanddive.com/nidjpegs/conch.jpg
Fito - Yum Yum.

know
A basket of conch fritters and a nice cool Kalik, brings back fond memories of sailing in the Abacos...
Mike D.

item
memories
don't forget the fries and dipping sauce...and make that a Kalik gold

their
car
Good thought, Joe! But I'll take the conch even without the sauce...

gardens
One
people
vacation.
MAN!! this is making me drool right now!!!!! -- i can't wait until next year when we go back..where abouts did you sail?

comparison.
year
Lessee...
We flew into in Marsh Harbor (where else?) then hopped a ferry to Hope Town, where we were based. We toddled around visiting the various cays. I recall Great Guana Cay, where we strolled the "Great Guana Cay Turnpike" (wide enough for one car or one and one-half golf carts) and visited Nipper's Dock Bar (open 364.5 days a year) on its cliff overlooking the Atlantic. Did a bit of snorkeling off Man of War Cay, also some sightseeing, and poking around in the museum in Coopers Town. We happened to be down there for Junkanoo and had a thoroughly enjoyable trip.

with
(or
of
strange.
gold
Town,
Dock
WOW!! we always rent a cottage on Guana Cay....we know a native there and he always takes us out fishing and diving to all the good spots
Nippers is always fun..beautiful view....pretty good food..
The native we know, his wife makes some MEAN conch fritters...
Bry,
If they were rubbery, then they were likely overcooked. My Italian wife fixes calamari (squid) in tomato sauce over pasta. It's heavenly. (But not if it's overcooked.)
Mike D.

Not only the French, either. There is someone here in Australia who farms the ordinary garden snails and sells them to local restaurants. She sells all she can grow! Escargot is a popular dish with sophisticated diners. ;-)
She feeds the snails on lettuce, etc., to fatten them, then IIRC they spend a few days on oatmeal to clean them out before going to slaughter. :-)

writes:

spend
It would appear that oat fiber is good for keeping lots of critters "regular."
On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 15:03:16 -0800, Stan J. Lefosi wrote:

And I eat tomato sandwiches in my kitchen. Tastes even better!
On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 15:03:16 -0800, Stan J. Lefosi wrote:

I've been wondering if they were edible, a slug should be pretty indistinguishable from escargot especially when covered with garlic and butter. People seem to think that this is a troll but I'm wondering if anyone has tried them.

I am willing to bet they have tried them.
Fito