How much 3rd yr. asparagus should I harvest?

..don't want to kill off all the plants by eating it all!! How many of the spears should I pick? Thanks!!!

Reply to
Me

I pick all of mine every other day, until the end of June or the first of July, or until I have enough in the freezer or canned, and then let them grow the rest of the year.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

The sheet that came with our asparagus crowns this year says to only pick 2 weeks during the third year. Then add 2 weeks each year.

Reply to
The Cook

Reply to
Thomas

I heard that one... ;-) Picked out of the ground and straight to the taste buds eh?

Reply to
Katra

The longer you can wait the stronger the plants will become and the more you will have in the future. Leave a few and eat a few...that's what birds and predatory insects do...leave enough for next years feast! Or you could be like an insecticide and eat (kill) everything in sight...and leave nothing for tomorrow or next year. Gary PS: I just happened to walk past my asparagus patch...I have enough to feed the neighbours...well at least the ones that like asparagus! I think the others had a mysterious upbringing. They only like carrots, peas etc....boring!

Reply to
Gary

Thank you all! I'm going to harvest a little less than planned...

Kevin

Reply to
Me