How far apart do you plant sweet and hot peppers?

One time I planted them too close and everything was hot. Thanks. Any good links are appreciated also.

I plant them right next to each other without any problems. The genetic material in the hot pepper's pollen isn't going to affect the fruit of the sweet peppers -- though it will affect the plants that are grown from the seeds.
Ray
Ray Drouillard wrote:

I usualy plant mine so the stems are about a foot apart, and in th shape of bed I use I find the patern like a 5 on a dice works well. I start them off in little polystyrene coffee cups and transplant the when they get the 4`th node, it works well for me :) as for the cross polination, that`s something I`m hoping to try thi year, maybe even get lucky an make my own breed of chili? (I`m allowe to dream). does anyone know about the viability of sross pollinatio and/or had any success with it?