How does a cabbage head form

Does anyone know how a cabbage head forms? Does it form by the outside leaves wrappring over each other, or does it form from within? If ir forms from the outside leaves, does pesticide become trapped within the head?
gwtx2 wrote:

I have 4 cabbages growing. The heads formed from the inside leaves that had me wondering about the cabbage worm droppings. What I did was remove any worms I found then sprayed the heads good with plain water. The though of worm droppings in my cabbage was discusting. I would think pesticide could become trapped within the head just on principle. The pesticide I used indicates a harvest date so you have to spray so many days before harvesting. I think after that time the pesticide is harmless? I'm sure commercial growers use pesticides on cabbage otherwise they would have a diminished crop.
~patches~ wrote:

My spray says to wait 7 days after spraying to harvest cabbage. That's what I'm going to do. I'll let you know if I survive.
Seriously, I gave them a good soak several times. They should be fine.
How do you harvest cabbage? Just take up the whole plant? Or twist out the cabbage itself? Any recipe ideas? I have 4 cabbages also, one ready to harvest.
I had a dozen heads this year, but the worms had some good meals. And like you said, the droppings can be disgusting, and they do get trapped within the leaves. I refused to use Sevin dust, which would have helped, and spent lots of time gathering worms.
This year, I twisted the heads off the stalks. Last year I cut them off with a butcher's knife. I like the twist method, which is easier for me.
Next year, I plan on starting my cabbage early (like in March). This will give the plant sufficient time to head-up before the moths come around full swing. I might even try some netting of some sort. I just don't like the idea of using poison on cabbage plants. Personally, for some reason, I can't believe that Sevin (and other pesticides) are harmless after 7 days.
GK wrote:

Btw, I usually make kraut from my cabbage, plus we'll have a meal or two with steamed cabbaged (salted and peppered).
Hi All,
reply at the end.
"GK" <frodo@a
meriNOSPMtech.net> wrote in message> ~patches~ wrote:

I have read some were that if you cut off the cabbage head, and cut an X in the stem that is left, you will get four small cabbage. I have not done this myself, so I do not know if it will work. I have some red cabbage. When I harvest them I may give it go, and see what happens.
Richard M. Watkin.
GK wrote:

I'm not sure about the harvesting as it is our first year growing them. I'm planning to cut the whole plant.
~patches~ wrote:

I tried to twist, but it didn't twist very well. I ended up twisting the entire plant out of the ground.
Fried some in butter, sweet paprika, and some seasonings. Any other recipe ideas?
GK wrote:

I can't help you much with cabbage recipes as I only make 3 things with cabbage. They are: cabbage rolls, sauerkraut, and coleslaw.
Here's how I do the cabbage rolls.
stuffing: cooked long grain rice, browned ground beef, salt & pepper to taste, chopped onion, sometimes I add chopped herbs like basil
wraps: drop cabbage head into boiling water until leaves are almost translucent, remove leaves one at a time; repeat if necessary
to assemble: place about 3 tbsp of stuffing into centre of leaf, tuck ends over then roll and place in casserole dish, continue this way until you've used up the stuffing and leaves, pour tomato sauce (I use a homemade roasted tomato sauce) over the rolls and bake in oven
These freeze well!