Dust - how does this form?

A book has just fallen down the side of a filing cabinet in the bedroom - the cabinet has been there for some 20 years, and it became clear as I poked with a long stick to get the book out of the narrow gap that a lot of grey almost felt like material had accumulated, some of it lumps of 100mm x 50.

What actually is this and why does it clump together ? Yes I know it's dirt/dust - call it what you like but what's the mechanism that makes it bind ?

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

In a bedroom it will be a mixture of textile fibres and dead skin mostly.

The textile fibres mostly I would have though...

Reply to
John Rumm

Exfoliated skin cells, mostly.

Because it's greasy. The oils stick mechanically, then as they oxidise, they harden and form a clump ...

Nice, eh?

Reply to
Huge

Electro static attraction maybe?

Damp in the air...

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Possibly dust mites excrement binding the non organic dust together...yuk!

Reply to
Bod

Most likely it clumps together with sticky silk from spiders. Wherever there's a gap wide enough to get a stick down, over the years you can be sure to get plenty of spiders of all sizes eventually bridging the gap with silk.

Clearing the corners of a room of hammock webs made by phalanges (daddy long legs) spiders with a long stick its easy to accumulate a golf ball sized lump of the stuff visible as big lumps of dust/fluff on the end of the stick just by twirling it around.

michael adams

michael adams

how fairy floss collection was invented?

Reply to
F Murtz

Do daddy long legs make silk? Are they spiders?

polygonum

Reply to
dennis

michael adams

michael adams

Just to add to the confusion, I've also heard crane flies* called "daddy long legs" - due to the way the legs dangle in flight I guess.

Lee

*might just be another peculiarity of this strange Kent town :)
Reply to
Lee

Well there seem to be at least three creatures that use the term "Daddy Long Legs"

Cellar Spiders:

Fly:
Spiders do produce silk the other two don't.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Like candy floss but nom as colourful or tastey ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

The TV series a few months back showing life behind the scenes of the London underground claimed that the tube fluffers (no, not that sort...) collect "fluff" from the tunnels that is largely made of fibres from clothing. Amazing amounts of the stuff from what I remember.

They also claimed you could tell what part of london you were working in by the type of fluff - some areas a lot of man made stuff, posh areas full of nice woollen fluff :-)

D.M.Chapman

They carry sticks now??!!

Reply to
Chris Holmes

Flakes of human skin. We all give them off. Most house dust is human skin and a whole range of nasty mites etc live off it. Some people are allergic to the housemite shit dust.

Reply to
harry

I've always wondered what the white fungusy stuff you get in the corners of sheds is.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

IIRC phalanges are the bones in your hand (not the fingers, but the palm) Phalangiidae?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Dry rot?

Reply to
Andy Champ

Phalanges are the fingers of the digits - those of the palm are metacarpals, of the wrist, carpals. (Tarsals for feet.)

Reply to
polygonum