Horseradish

A good herb nursery should stoke it. It takes off once you plant it and is very very easy to propogate. If you can locate anyone who has it in the garden they should be more than happy to provide you with some. I'ts in weed proportions in my garden, but I'm in Australia, no where near you.

Find someone who has some or buy it in the store, the ones given to me were about as round as a pencil & 6-8" long. If it is good enough to grind, it will grow. Never saw it for sale at nursuries. As stated a few times above, if you have warm clime all year long, forget it. Good luck.

Find somebody growing it in your area and ask nicely for a few root cuttings/ Try to ignore the hysterical laughter as you drive away...
Where are you located?
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at www.albany.net/~gwoods Zone 5/6 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G

don't they sell whole roots at the supermarket in the UK? That's where I got my plants from (it was a single, 2inches root originally). You bury it in the ground and it will come up. Undestructible plant.
Gary Woods wrote:

paulmoxon wrote:

Thanks for your help Gary - I'm in N.E. Lincs.
Liza wrote:

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:00:17 GMT, paulmoxon

I started mine from a chunk I bought in the supermarket's veg dept.

I don't remember where I got mine, but too .. probably from something I got at the co-op, but I can tell you this.. do NOT plant it anywhere you may someday not want it to be! If there is a hair root left, it will come back!
I have put boards over it trying to kill it.. and eventually a piece of it somehow managed to grow without light to the edge of the board, no mean fete as it was a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood that wasn't any good for anything in the construction world, so just put it on the ground over the stuff and it's still here! A hefty bunch is coming up this year, and I planted it maybe 20 years ago, and I never water it on purpose. I decided I hate hot things. Saw an article a few years ago in a Discover magazine that some folks have just a few of the receptors for the "hot" in the various hot foods.. and some have scads of them all over the tongue surface. As it said, something that a person with a few receptors considered mildly pungent would likely blow the top of the person's with lots of receptors head right through the roof!! I am apparently one of those later folks as I don't like HOT food. I can detect a 14-15 oz. can of "mexican tomato sauce" which is "mild" in a 3 gallon pot of tomato sauce!
Janice