Horseradish

Is this an annual? How is it normally grown? I have a small patch that seems to grow every year. Rather than digging it I just buy already it in a jar.

Reply to
Dave

It's a perennial dependent upon your weather. Not to mention that it is invasive as all get out down here on the Middle Coast.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

No, it's an invasive perennial, often grown in bottomless tubs in the soil to stop it spreading.

How is it normally grown? I have a small patch that

Yep, a bit like bamboo, it keeps on spreading. It grows best if you give it a deep root run and can get it out of the soil easily -so friable and easy digging soil (or the (easily) liftoutable tub) if you can manage it. The aim is to have nice fat, soft roots so you can grate them easily and don't end up with hard fibrous roots.

Rather than digging it I just buy already it

Well it IS fiddly to prepare but then it is also more nose clearing, head blowing off, if you make it yourself.

Reply to
Farm1

Ha, well last Fall I had to move it and actually I planted it next to the bamboo. The soil is hard clay so it has never seemed to be producing usable roots. Not now and not in the prior location. This Fall I will try to improve the soil.

Does the homegrown taste any different from the stuff from the store? Thanks.

Reply to
Dave

clearing,

store?

I think the home produced stuff has a much better flavour, but the commercial stuff is certainly reminiscent of real horseradish. The commercials tuff is certainly closer than say the canned "pie apples" are to real apples, but then that isn't saying much is it given how ghaslty canned "pie apple" is :0((

Reply to
Farm1

I have not seen fresh horseradish root in the store (but I am ready to be surprised) so I take your question to be comparing commercially made horseradish preparations (sauce, cream, relish etc) with those made from the fresh root at home. The answer to that is there is no comparison at all. Making it from fresh and serving it while it still has some bite might as well be a different product compared to the tired, insipid bottled stuff.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

How do you make it from home-grown roots? (The equivalent of the horseradish in the little jar, that is.)

Reply to
tuckermo

Grind it fine in a well-ventilated space with a food processor or grater. Let stand a few minutes (exposure to air develops more pungency). Add vinegar to moisten and mix it up well.

Other additives are optional, but this works well. It is unbelievably pungent while being ground, and the homemade product blows the socks off anything commercial.

Freezes pretty well, I do it in plastic ice cube trays, then bag in the freezer.

Gary Woods

Thanks! Maybe I will screw up my courage and try it this year. :) Does it matter when you dig up the roots?

Reply to
tuckermo

Traditionally, when the plant is dormant, spring or fall.

Gary Woods

When grinding in a food processor or blender- resist the urge to open the cover and take a deep whiff. It will literally take your breath away--

-snip-

I don't do a lot of horseradish anymore-- but my dad freezes the roots, then grates it onto sandwiches or into dishes.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

My God! That would blow one's socks off!

I grate it and mix it with whipped cream.

Reply to
Farm1

Yes indeed. And in answer to a previous reply, my daughter once asked what I was doing with the blender.

"I'm grinding horseradish." "Great! I love fresh horseradish! Can I smell it?" "Yes, but be very very careful..."

[rips off blender lid, sticks in nose, takes deep breath]

Sound effex: Gasping, wheezing, crying, running for fresh air...

"So, don't believe your dumb old man...."

She still remembers, years later...

Gary Woods

One form of punishment in our family was being made to turn the handle of the grinder when grandpa ground the horseradish.

Reply to
Mister Fixit

Do the grinding OUTDOORS.

Freshly ground horseradish could probably be used as a biological agent of war, like mustard gas.

Jan

Bedouin proverb:

If you have no troubles, buy a goat.

Reply to
Jan Flora

Reminds me of the (male) friend of mine who was chopping extra hot chillies and went to do a pee but didn't wash his hands first. He said he suffered for days.

Reply to
Farm1

I am told this error is actually worse for women - something about mucous membranes being thinner or more permeable. Any comment?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

air...

Hmmmmm. It sounds like it's a reasonable possibility but I can't imagine that any woman I know would make the mistake of making contact whilst going to the toilet. Having stood outside cublicles and hearing the reams of paper being torn from the roll/out of the dispenser, I think that most women tend to use LOTS of toilet paper.

Reply to
Farm1

Ahem. Insertion of a tampon without an applicator, like OB brand. Enough said.

Reply to
Claire Petersky

about

paper.

Oh dear. You're right. However any female who doesn't know about toxic shock syndrome and inserts a tampon after chopping chillies without first doing the anti toxi shock thorough handwashing routine deserves anything she gets in my humble opinion.

Reply to
Farm1