Heirloom tomatoes

Minneapolis Farmers Market has folks selling Heirloom Tomatoes. One vendor (a helper, not the grower) couldn't tell me if that was the name of the varietal or simply a broader term for something that's not a hybrid. I'm thinking it's the latter and the young woman simply didn't know the varietal. Am I right?
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)

Yes. Heirloom are open pollinated ones that have been around for some period of time. There are probably hundreds of heirloom tomatoes.
--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation,
susan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

OK, what I thought. Thanks, Susan. -B
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
Actually most of the "heirlooms are relatively new and new ones appear each year. They are all open polinated and developed by amateurs rather than big seed companies. Many came with the fall of the iron curtain from eastern Europe, others families who had been saving thier own seeds for a number of years, and others from individuals who did thier own crossbreeding and selection. The members of Seed Savers Exchange have been responsible for a large number of them.

http://www.tomato-seeds.com/heirloom-tomatoes/heirloom-tomatoes.html
The Ranger

A follow up. Here is a list of one person's offerings of heirloom tomatoes. I did not bother to count. I am growing Cherokee Purple and Black Plum.