Heirloom Garden?

I am pondering the idea of putting in an heirloom garden and am wondering if anyone here has any advice regarding heirloom varieities. Also, who is the best company to buy seeds from? Any other advice?

Em Growing region 6 Be careful what you wish for....

Reply to
Auntie Em

Seedsavers.com is where I would start. They are in the business of keeping some of the old type veggies the way they were. I have always enjoyed them.

What are you planning on growing? I have some watermelon seeds that have been passed down for about 60 years, and I am the last one to grow them. I am looking for someone to carry on. They came from zone 7 and don't do too well here in zone 5.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

You might want to ask around in your area and find out which heirlooms will do best in your area. I'm in the South, so I look for heirlooms that were bred for our hot, muggy summers. In zone

6, you might want to consider varieties that have a shorter season or can tolerate cooler temps.

all companies that I have ordered from, and been very pleased with the service and the seeds and plants I received. Most seed companies carry some heirloom seeds now, too, especially heirloom tomatoes.

Good Luck!

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Thank you Penelope, for the link to rareseeds. I've never been there before.

Southern Exposure also has heirlooms

Another way to acquire heirloom seeds is through seeds exchanges. I'm subscribed to snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com.

Reply to
Pen

Sorry to jump in where not asked...but I'd love to try those watermelon seeds. I haven't grown watermelon yet, but I'm in zone 6b and I'd love to give it a try. Especially fun would be if you could provide some kind of provenance to these seeds so the legend can be carried forward.

If you are interested in passing the torch, you can e-mail me privately...the addy's correct.

Mark

Reply to
Mark