growing tomatos from seed

I have started growing some Big whoopers

from seed. I got their biodome and everything is going pretty good. The plants are getting about 2" tall the problem is that they are falling over, they seem really weak in the structure sense but other than that they seem to look green and have two big leave. I think I am suppose to repot them at 4 leaves but I could be wrong.

Thanks Seth

Reply to
Seth

How much light are they getting?

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Yes repot them. I will tell you what I do. once the true set of leaves come I pinch off the bottom two ( the very first leaves on the bottom) and bury the plant up to the 4 leaves on an angle. I will do this again either when it moves outside or if it starts to get leggy again. It makes the stem stronger and nothing else changes.

Reply to
Lynn

It has been very overcast here and they don't get any direct sunlight. It has been about 2.5 weeks since I planted them how much longer should it take to get more leaves

Thanks

Reply to
Seth

I think your problem is that the plants need more light, either direct sunlight or artificial. Planting them deep won't help if they're not getting enough light.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

If they don't get enough light they get "leggy" and after they are about 4 -

6 inches tall, they fall over. Otherwise they might be dampening off. I don't know what causes it for sure, but I think it is too much watering. They just get very small stemmed when the stem enters the dirt and they fall over.

If it is warm enough where you are, take them outside during the day. Otherwise put them inside where they can get some sunlight (like in front of a glass door on the south side of the house). You might hang a light about

4 - 6 inches from the tops of the little plants also.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

Overwatering creates a favorable environment for the fungus to grow. Sprinkling a little baby powder on the top of the soil, or using a baking soda spray will help prevent damping off, too.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

My first couple of tomato plantings did this. My problem was too much water. I was keeping those suckers soaked 24x7 and basically sitting in a pool of mud. (hey, what did I know? I was new at it). I planted 12 of 'em, and by the 5th week, 10 had collapsed and fallen over. I tried tieing them off with dental floss to toothpicks stuck in the mud to hold 'em up. Didn't work. They died.

After I figured it out (too much water), I went to a full watering every 4th day, and a light mist with a sprayer on the leaves every

2nd day between waterings. Planted another 12 and had 13 grow to full plants (how does that happen?) and they all made it just fine with the new watering schedule.

Since then, haven't had a problem.

Reply to
Sgt.Sausage