growing dandelion

Hey all, ok I know this sounds a bit insane to some of you but dandelion is VERY tasty and I was wondering if anyone here had ever tried growing it?

We don't *try* to grow it. We have 200 acres in hayfields that have volunteer dandelions on them. The neighbors come over to pick the blooms, to make wine. Our horses and cattle seems to like the greens, when they're young.
Jan

The only time I have ever had dandelion wine it was pretty good, although the only people have have ever fed it to me are hippies out of the side of Vdub campers :p
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:59:07 GMT, "Latts"

We don't need to *try*: dandelions just happen here.
Pat
Dandelions are rampant "weeds" in a lot of the US. I think I read somewhere they were actually introduced into this country (probably from Europe) because people liked to eat the greens.
The greens are very good, but its pretty hard to imagine the US without dandelions.

I grow dandelion in my garden. I didn't have any growing as weeds in my neighborhood so I bought seeds online (either Johnnys or Park Seeds I think). I also have chicory and Italian (red stemmed) dandelion growing in my garden too. The leaves are all a bit bitter so I don't add too many to my salads. I feed a lot of the leaves to my daughters guinea pig - he loves them. The dandelion and chicory also produce edible flowers.
Take care, Lynn Smythe e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net website: http://users.adelphia.net/~lynnsmythe

According to this site: http://www.efn.org/~bsharvy/edible3.html#Dandelion
There is actually a cultivated variety of dandelion, called 'Thick-Leaved'
Dandelions are perennial, not biennial.
Regards, Dianna _______________________________________________ To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.