Grafted tomato plants

Well, I knew you could do it; heck, the Sunday paper in the spring always has ads for "THE AMAZING POMATO!!! PRODUCES TOMATOES AND POTATOES ON THE SAME PLANT!!!". I got my periodic E-bulletin from Johnny's seeds, and they claim much improved disease resistance for heirloom tomato plants grafted onto resistant stock. Complete with information article by George DeVault, outgoing head of Seed Saver's Exchange. BUT: the stock is an F1 hybrid, and the seeds are very pricy. Probably justified by the hand labor needed, but I'm economical. (My friends say my Scots-Irish ancestry is showing through). Has anybody tried this? Are there OP rootstocks that might be resistant as well? It looks like this substantially delays diseases like blight, but sooner or later the top growth will get infected anyway. How about other, preferably organic, methods of control? I'd really like more than just a few salad tomatoes next summer, and since the Solstice just passed, I figure spring is in sight.
....Gotta throw a few more sticks in the stove...

Wow! That's a really useless idea and a complete waste of time and money!