Garlic/onion frost damage

Page 1 of 3
With the recent heavy snow and ice we have had this past week, a goodly number of my autumn planted garlics and onions have had their tops bent over.
Will they recover or will I need to replant again?
Ed (Herts, UK)

The garlic will likely recover, though perhaps at some energy and size cost.
"Ed" wrote

Your garlic will recover unlike ours which has had the tops all eaten off!!
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Yikes! What kind of wildlife eats garlic tops?
Here, the deer will eat the leftover Brussels Sprout plants, and any leeks I've left in the ground, but they're not their first choice. Kale, on the other hand....
"Gary Woods" wrote after "Bob Hobden" moaned on...

We have never ever had anything damage our Garlic before and thought them impervious to attack, not this year. The first tops to show all disappeared within a few days and I can see where they have been eaten off. A few late developers are coming up again and I've put a couple of rodent bait boxes out to try to kill the culprits. Last thing we want is rodents getting a taste for garlic!
--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Ed wrote:

Garlic and onion sets shouldn't sprout until early spring... (same as other allium), you obviously planted way too early... if anything the early cold/snow may be a gift.

BALONEY, you get growth until the ground is frozen hard, how many garlic crops have you brought to market? The original poster should have no problems but should monitor his crop a bit earlier than normal harvest by using a few plants so he can time everything before the cloves open. If you have extra stock go ahead and plant right up until the ground is hard.

The conventional wisdom here is that garlic should be planted 6-8 weeks before ground frost, so the roots get well established before the ground freezes hard, preventing the cloves from getting heaved up during thaw/freeze cycles. To that end, a light mulch after things have started to freeze is a Good Thing. I'm happier if I get little or now _top_ growth before the freeze, since that gets damaged and costs the cloves energy better spent the next spring. Full disclosure:
I am NOT a commercial grower; only a somewhat obsessed amateur. I grow something around a hundred pounds of garlic, using what my Sweetie and I don't eat to donate, trade, etc. I'm in the Northeastern U.S.; conditions elsewhere vary. Mine certainly do!
Yours in bad breath,

[...]
for a strong start, plant 4 to 6 weeks before the ground freezes.
do NOT cold store or plant cold stored cloves, it will cause the clove to sprout prematurely, before it establishes good roots. This is trouble because it allows winter heaving. And no, properly planted and cared for garlic usually does not sprout or grow much green until a warm spell during winter. And then when it does, it's time for a high nitrogen feed, followed by several more through May. (experienced in zone 5/6).

prolly more than years you've trekked Terra Firma
a couple of fun places to visit & learn: http://thegarlicstore.com/ZenCart/Index.php http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/boutique.htm For a wide selection of planting stock, check back about June to order
Steve Young
"Sheldon" wrote

Rubbish! Garlic has to be planted before winter sets in if you want decent sized heads. I try to get a good growth before they slow for the winter cold. Spring planted stuff is almost a waste of time the heads are usually so small. It's a tough plant and won't bother about the winter in the UK at all. There are autumn planted onions (as well as the usual spring planted) although I've found they are not as tough as garlic.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Nobody is talking about spring planting, we are talking about when it sprouts.
If garlic has not been mistreated, very little sprouting/(above ground growth) occurs between Fall planting and ground freeze. Now if it gets very cold after planting and then a warm spell occurs before finally freezing, an unusually large number may sprout. Here in NE Ohio probably less than 20% sprout before a winter thaw. What confounds this timetable is if garlic has been stored in a refrigerator anytime prior to planting. It will sprout almost immediately after planting, long before strong roots are established. Not a good thing.
Steve Young
"Steve Young" wrote:

Yup, obviously some of these folks don't read very well, the OP didn't really mention a time frame, or even a locale, but from context it seemed pretty obvious to those with intelligence that he meant planting very recently, like now, as in this fall. I don't grow garlic anymore (used to), haven't for like five years now because my next door neighbor grows garlic and onions in great quantity, like 500 pounds of each, he supplies the entire neighborhood and attends the local garlic festivals. I used to grow garlic in sets of 100, not a lot but was more than enough for me and to share. I only take like 6-10 heads from my neighbor because I don't use it up fast enough and it's a shame to let it rot, but I take 20 pounds of red and yellow onions and 20 pounds of his spuds, russets and Yukon golds. Anyway, my neighbor is a real garlic maven, he has quite an operation, grown in very neat raised beds filled with soil he is constantly amending with all sorts of composted manures, leaves, and a huge variety of plant waste. I've learned a lot more about garlic growing from him than I already knew. One thing he is very careful about is watching the weather (I assume all agri people do) so he'll know the most advantageous time to plant. He waits until we've had a few light frosts and then plants as close as he can to four weeks prior to the first hard frost. He mulches heavily with straw (about 8") that's held down from wind with plastic deer fencing, which also keeps birds off. He already has his garlic planted, this is the sixth season since I've lived here and I've never seen any of his garlic sprout before spring... you can set your clock on its sprouting because it sends up green on the same day as daffodils. I don't know about growing garlic in warm climes but here in NY's northern Catskill region (zone 5/6) if garlic is planted too early prior to the first hard frost it will sprout, and if sunlight can get to the sprouts it will grow very rapidly, especially if there're a few day's warm spell.
I have a clear view of his garlic bed from my window as I sit here:
http://i36.tinypic.com/14lmx7b.jpg
A little far, let's try with tele:
http://i36.tinypic.com/wit2s8.jpg
On 03/11/08 15:33, Sheldon wrote:

Ummm, yes I did.. I stated I live in Herts, UK.
And yes, we need need to plant garlic in November , so that it gets rooted and sprouting before the winter sets in.
But my question was whether or not it matters that the tops get bent over with snow and ice. Will they recover.
Ed (Herts, UK)

It matters, but not hugely. The cloves will have wasted energy producing tops that get damaged. Unless the damage is so severe/frequent that the cloves run out of stored food, you'll still get a crop, albeit reduced somewhat.

You be typing like eubonics... I suppose you can't spell Hertsfordshire. If you wanted to stay pure UK you should not have crossposted, crossposting is always poor form anyway... I asked someone I know well who lived in London for many years, she says Hertsforshire is a slum, a ghetto of uneducated inbred miscreants... it's no wonder you can't express yourself in proper English.

Rooted, yes but why sprouted garlic before winter. If sprouted garlic is what you need and you say you have sprouted garlic, then your question is inane, nay, insane. I say, old chap, you don't make any sense, old bean. <trying my hand at UK speak>

And some priggish lout claims England gets no snow and ice... I knew he's an idiot but arguing with idiots is a waste, it's not possible for idiots to learn.
It seems you're asking a theorhetical... only one way to find out about your garlic, wait. It's amazing how folks from the UK especially are incapable of constructing a proper sentence... and then they get their knickers all twisted when they don't get the responses they wish.
Cheerio and all that...
"Sheldon" wrote >

[...]

Your ignorance of the accepted short version of an English County and your ignoring of the UK bit in the original post was nobody else's fault but yours. There is a whole world outside the US. It is you who made a fool of yourself by spouting on adamantly about your way of growing garlic which has no relevance for the UK and the OP at all. Then you persist in blaming everyone else and twisting/misreading/misunderstanding their comments to continue your silly diatribe for some strange reason known only to you, and with every new post you confirm my thoughts about you.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden
On 04/11/08 17:33, Bob Hobden wrote:

There is no problem in cross posting. It's a great way of getting informed opinion and experience across the board.
And hey, Hertfordshire is no slum.. Its a rich county outside of London.

The only ignorance is in if one desires to keep it pure UK is DON'T CROSSPOST.
I got yer UK... GO FUCKITH THYSELF! <G>
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

Sometimes my countrymen embarrass me. Shields up..
Gary Woods wrote:

Sometimes so do mine me .

Looks like we're neighbors.