Gardening in the Heat of Summer

It's not an easy task leeping those hanging baskets from drying out and dying in the hot dry tennessee weather.Ive got 2 baskets of hanging annuals and i must water 3 times per day to make them look like normal healthy plants.Im not to enthused with annuals.They require so much attention and then they die at summer's end.
Id much rather have perennials,they come back every year.
Any ideas on how to keep from watering your hanging baskets 3 times a day?Ive tried shade.Its hot here :)
--
Tammy Sons

Derald
FL USDA zone 9a

More questionable advice from Derald the Dim.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True
Tammy Sons wrote:

Bigger baskets will hold moisture longer than smaller. Does your growing medium hold water well? A basket is very free draining and loses water all over so it is Ok to use a heavier medium than pot plants. Have you tried inverting a plastic bottle of water in them with a leaky cap?

I find that if the basket is light weight, it has very little material to hold the water. Could repot the plant using a heavier potting soil.
I have never used something like this. It is only something I have seen that may be of interest to you. An auto drip watering system for hanging baskets.
(Amazon.com product link shortened) 1&pf_rd_i058OQEN0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r ESGEEPNP63BABDJJ46

I have a similar situation and use micro dripper reticulation similar to http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/intro/0,,1088902,00.html with the main pipe running around the pergola and off shoot drippers to each basket. Previously I have used the plastic bottle water spikes http://www.yougrowgirl.com/2001/05/30/make-your-own-pop-bottle-drip-irrigation-system/ but could not get used to the bottle in the flower beds, although they did work with only one top up per day and made an easy delivery system for soluble feriliser.
Mike

Sphagnum moss holds water better than most organic materials, then there is vermiculite, and gels. <http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/cornucop/2000074323014514.html
We have six hanging pots (8 liter, wire with coir liner & potting soil) in our yard. Three are on drip, and 3 need to be hand watered. I prefer the drip as the garden gets water everyother day, and that is good enough for the plants.

You get the award.... (applause)
Cheers