Garden Incinerator

Page 1 of 2
I already have a compost bin on my allotment but wonder if there is any need for a garden incinerator as well? I'm referring to those small galvanised metal bins with holes in them and a lid on top with a small chimney.
What exactly are they used for? Apart from burning say, perennial weeds such as bindweed, I cannot see why I don't chuck stuff straight onto the compost heap and let it compost there.
Does anyone here use one?
Ed
Are you thinking of the heaters they sometimes use in citrus groves? They keep the fruit from freezing.
Here in so cal I don't think open fire is a good idea....

No use that I know of.

They are good for annoying the neighbors and turning organic matter into smoke and ash where its use is much more limited.
Some weed seeds will survive composting unless your compost pile is hot. This takes more effort than a cold pile.
David

I find a use for our "incinerator". Posh word for something that is actually an old and quite rusty 44 gallon drum with the top and bottom cut out. It has a very rough 8 inch square hacked out on one side and shoved inwards so I can shove some kindling and a fire lighter inside to set it going and it has a series of slots hacked into it with a tomahawk all the way round the base. I use it to burn blackberry brash, fruit tree prunings, weeds I can't be bothered to lug to the trailer or can't fit into it and a variety of other things. It lives in the orchard which is about a quarter of an acre and serves as the chook's day yard. At this time of the year when it's perishing outside, there is nothing like a burn off of stuff.

If the fruit tree branches are organic, they make great smoking material for slow BBQing. Or good rabbit chews depending upon the tree. Apple is best.

Burn cans are illegal throughout our county. Very annoying. I recommend the following constitutional ammendment:
"A well regulated garden being necessary to the securing of a tidy yard, the right of the People to keep and use burn-cans shall not be infringed."
-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com

LOL. Bet there would be more than an even chance of getting that Constitutional amendment up.
BTW, love the few bits of your site I've looked at so far.

This is for those who have fun on a small scale. Round here they are likely to set fire to a few hundred acres. Quaint custom. Gets rid of weeds in the pasture you know. Gets rid of lots of organic material and nitrogenous compounds too that would be better off in the soil. But it's cheap. And fun. Unless you have asthma.
David

:-)) That is why we burn now and not in a couple of months time. I'd be as popular as a rat in a pantry if I set fire to either our pasture or the neighbours.
Quaint custom. Gets rid of weeds in the

Hmmph. I'd say that is pure bollocks. Weeds love a good clear soil to resprout into. Sounds to me like you have some lazy farmers near you.
Gets rid of lots of organic material and nitrogenous

Do they leave knuckle marks in the soil as they walk?

We burn all diseased plant material. It doesn't go into our compost heap but the ashes do.
Are ashes too basic for compost piles? I've heard they are since people used them in the past to make the alkaline part of soaps. just wondering.
thanks, Simon

I've heard master gardeners discourage the use of ashes in composting and gardening. At the same time, I ran a wood furnace for years, and added all the ashes to my compost pile. When the proportion of ash to grass clippings and leaves is very low, you shouldn't have a problem. If ash comes up as a noticeable percentage of the composted material, consider using it on icy sidewalks rather than in your compost.

Or spread them over your lawn in a thin layer. Ash is minerals and too valuable to send to the dump. We don't have tons of ash, just from our fireplace and outdoor fire-bin when we burn anything that may be diseased.

We have a woodburner, all the ash goes on the garden. We have done this for years and I don't see a problem.
Judith

Hmmm. I don't think I'd respect anyone who said not to use ashes in the garden. In compost then maybe, but as you pointed out, it's fine but not in huge quantities.
Ash, soot and biochar are all good things to use in the garden.

Is this the same garden with the withered and diseased squash and peppers you've been whining about? The same garden you have haphazardly dumped all that toxic shit to get rid of rampant insect infestation? You are sorely lacking in credibility.
Val

Please explain how an abnormal insect pest infestation is related to adding compost and fertilizer to a garden? Yes, these gardens have been extremely productive for close to 20 years. Only one is suffering the whitefly and mite infestation. That really eats your lunch for some reason. And why do you whine constantly about what people add to their gardens?
The same garden you have haphazardly dumped all

Which toxic shit was dumped in these gardens? Compost? Ashes? Those are the only things "dumped" there. Was I supposed to spray them with sugar and water to try and stop the invasion?
You are sorely

And you're nothing but an ignorant, arrogant self centered troll who thinks insect pests can be gotten rid of by scattering some compost under the plants.

Marie, ignore it. Now did I tell you how I got rid of my blackfly? :-)
Judith

blackfly? :-)
No you didn't. What worked for you? :-))
Judith