Frozen Lima Beans

Page 2 of 2

By fresh, do you eman raw beans (after soaking in water or after boiling)?
Lima beans have a chemical that is toxic and must be released by boiling off.....
snipped-for-privacy@speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:

Ohhhhh.... fresh black-eyed peas are one of the best things from the garden and absolutely nothing like frozen or canned. And, the best news is that they are very easy to grow. We plant a lot of them and they are a very sturdy. lush and prolific if you keep them picked. It's best to tend to or pick them early in the morning before the wasps start buzzing around them. Never, ever spray them because the wasps are beneficial & pollinators. This is a crop that nearly takes care of itself. They grow best planted in 3-4 foot wide rows or slightly raised beds. Pick them when the pods start to thin but before they turn yellow or start to dry. Yum yum.
Emma
James wrote:

maybe 3 foot rows of them) when we lived in Virginia. It was surprisingly easy but I was doing it for a science experiment which required me to dissect the beans to show how the shoots would eventually come up to sprout flowers and then make new plants. If a 9 year old can do it, you can. Provided you have the right soil, I guess. And before you ask, I didn't do anything more than water the tiny plants and wait for the beans to appear on the plants. I never added any sort of fertilizer; nothing like that. I was a curious kid. I just checked my plants every day and made sure they were okay. They were. On a larger scale I'm sure you'd have more to think about.
You can do a lot with lima beans if you like them. Add them to soups and stews. Dry them for later use. Or just briefly boil or steam them and serve them with butter. Maybe some grated cheese. I've never gotten fancy with lima beans.
Jill
"jmcquown" wrote:

When I was five years old I poked a lima bean up each nostril and had to be taken to a doctor to have them removed. Is that considered fancy? LOL
Sheldon
Sheldon wrote:

Depends on what the doctor charged! You weren't exactly smart then, were you? LOL
Jill

Sure I was, I was very inquisitive. hehe
I did the same thing with barley.
Never met a bean I didn't like.
"jmcquown" wrote:

When I was five years old I poked a lima bean up each nostril and had to be taken to a doctor to have them removed. Is that considered fancy? LOL
Sheldon

String beans have always been my first choice.
Dick

Lima beans are slightly more expensive than some other beans because their pods contain slightly fewer beans on average than say pinto beans... that said dried limas don't cost more than most dried beans. Fresh frozen limas are expensive but so would any fresh frozen bean be just as expensive, which is why therre is a very limited selection of fresh frozen beans. Beans being high in protein they are more apt to freezer burn than other frozen veggies... and frozen limas are not very popular anyway so they don't sell well and so they spoil, and so those who buy them pay for the waste. If price is a concern then use dried... all canned beans are made from dried. And butter bean is just another name for lima bean. But lima beans and baby lima beans are indeed different beans.
Sheldon
.... But lima beans and baby lima beans are indeed different beans.
Sheldon
Oh man, I wish you hadn't told me that. :-(
Don
Try making a soup with lima beans (I used dried one soaked overnigth) using onions and amy be garlic too. Then add dill (fresh one) just before removing the heat.
I made it once only ...that's only because I hate peeling the skin. I don't like to eat the skin on lima beans ..

I don't eat Lima beans (can't stand 'em!) but I do often use dill with steamed veggie dishes. Fish too.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

I never used with steam veges. I should try. I love dill btu never knew where to use to finish off the big bunch you get in an Asian store.

I often dry the large bunches I get at the asian market and store in a jar. I use them on just about any steamed veggie as well as grilled fish and sauteed shrimps.
Take 1 lb. of peeled and deveined shrimp and toss into a skillet in a mix of hot butter and olive oil. Add a light sprinkling of garlic powder, a generous amount of dried (or fresh) dill weed and a bit of salt free lemon pepper.
Stir gently until all of the shrimp is pink.
Serve over steamed veggies, pasta, or rice.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Are you sure you're not talking about fava beans? The skins on limas is onion-skin thin.

Yes, I am sure. We never ate the skin back home.
James wrote:

Not so much, but digging a hole in the ice to plant the seedlings can be a real bitch.
--

"Truth matters, God doesn't & life sucks."

-- House, M.D.