Foliage

I have always trimmed off the leaves of garden plants that touch the ground. I thought that the cleaner the garden the less chance for bugs and disease. I am wondering if they plants while fairly young need the bigger leaves for nutrition for the produce. Anyone know?
MJ
In article

It is reasonable to presume that at some point, the lower leaves will mostly be in the shade. That would be a good time to remove them.
--

- Billy
I think it's safe to presume the young plants need their leaves for nutrients.