Fertilizing tomatoes

I have read that it is a good idea to fertilize tomatoes plants when they are starting to set fruit. My tomaoes are in cages and are grown through holes in black plastic. It is very difficult for me to scratch in dry fertilizer. Could I use a liquid fertilizer instead (miracle gro?) and spray it at the base of the plant. Thanks in advance, Richard
richardg wrote:

I've always used Miracle Gro on my vegetables. I do believe Miracle Gro has a liquid tomato fertilizer (18-18-21) but I find the regular 15-30-15 works quite well.
..

Thought -- could you drive in a fertilizer spike through the plastic? I've used these with tomatoes with success.
--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Spikes need water to activate, so you might not get the desired results.
Have you considered foliar feeding?
In any event, go easy on the N or all you/ll have are lush vines.
--
TQ

richardg said:

Well, I tend to give my a good dose of Tomato-tone (by Espoma) when transplanting, then foliar feed with Maxicrop (a seaweed spray) during the season.