Edible or not?

Page 1 of 2
I found these mysterious things growing in my garden. The internet says they're Morel mushrooms and they may be safe to eat. I would definitely like a second opinion about that. I found this webpage with some information about that. http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/outdoor-recreation/how/mushrooms/safe-mushroom-hunting
And the photo of the ones in my garden is here:
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixiter/images/Garden/Mushrooms.jpg
Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA
David Farber said:

Morels are the easiest mushroom to properly identify, and yes, they can sometimes be found growing in a back yard. Your mushrooms do, indeed, look like edible morels, but a full ID would require looking at the stem and cutting one in half.
True morels have hollow stems that connect directly to the cap.
False morels either do not have hollow stems or the cap hangs down over the stem.
Check out these links:
http://thegreatmorel.com/falsemorel.html http://thegreatmorel.com/falsemorel2.html
A couple of years back we had a prolonged cool, wet spring and a couple of dead or dying fruit trees in the back yard, which resulted in a spectacular crop of extremely delicious morels.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."
In article

If you are near a University, you might check to see if the mycologist would look at them, that will be as good as second opinions get.
--
E Pluribus Unum

Know where your money is tonight?
Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Here is the mushroom sliced open.
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixiter/images/Garden/Morel-slice.jpg
It looks like the good, hollow kind, right?
Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Don't be a fool. Take it to Cal Poly.
--
E Pluribus Unum

Know where your money is tonight?

Don't be a fool, it's a clump of morels!!!!! I've been picking them for over 40 years, I KNOW WHAT THEY ARE!!!!!

You'd bet his life on it? He is 18 min. from Cuesta College, and 25 min. from UC Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo. Seems a small price for an expert's opinion, who would be in the presence of the mushroom, rather than someone who is simply looking at a picture of it.
This isn't about your pride. Mushroom pickers die every year from mistaken identity. Why shouldn't David avail himself of the very best best advice?
--
E Pluribus Unum

Know where your money is tonight?
Billy wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give the colleges a call and see what help they can offer.
--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Contact some of these folks, they won't need to see anything other than the photos: http://www.bayareamushrooms.org/california_clubs.html http://www.mykoweb.com/na_mycos.html http://www.mushroomthejournal.com/startingout/clubstext.html http://www.thekitchn.com/mycological-society-of-san-fra-64386 http://www.fvmushroomclub.ca /
A couple of these are Ca mushroom clubs, others are links to many dozens of mushrooms clubs in N. American. Send the photos to ANY of them and they will confirm what I say.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see"

Of course one should avail themselves of the best advise available, always. There is ABSOLUTELY no other fungus that looks like that. Some are close, but not like that. I've been picking them for over 40 years! Would you like to wager that I'm wrong? I can't bet my life on it (I'm on the other coast) but I'll cover anything up to a million or so (US, in cash of course).
Steve Peek wrote:

I called Cal Poly. They didn't express an interest in investigating the issue. They referred me to the local volunteer, master gardener program. It's a program run by UC Davis. The volunteer told me to e-mail the picture to them. I asked about bringing in a sample but I was told that they don't do any scientific analysis.
Thanks for your reply.
--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA

always."
That is what I said.

--
E Pluribus Unum

Know where your money is tonight?

You bloody fool, you have no idea of my level of expertise. Of course there is no response to my wager. I can't believe the phobias that exist for wild foods! If they were packaged on a styrofoam tray and wrapped in plastic and priced @ $30. per pound would you believe? I get $20.-$35. per pound from the local restaurants anytime I have more than I can eat. I haven't poisoned anyone in 40 years or so (read never).

Your ego is certainly larger than mine. I have little expertise with mushrooms other than hunting boletus, and chanterelles at Salt Point in Sonoma County. The fact remains that I don't know you, and have nothing to base your expertise on, other than your word. All things being equal, I'd rather risk my organism with someone who has a doctorate in mycology. What part of that don't you understand?
It seems we have gone way beyond a discussion. The floor is all yours.
--
E Pluribus Unum

Know where your money is tonight?

fool: noun- one who knows absolutely nothing about a subject, but continues to argue his point
In the immortal words of Bender, "Bite my shiny, metal ass!"
On 4/30/2012 4:54 PM, Steve Peek wrote:

try them without going to the trouble of seeking out local experts first.

I finally found an expert. He came by the house and inspected them. After giving me a thorough disclaimer about following his expert advice, he consulted two reference books (both written by David Arora) and said they were edible mushrooms. We went around and picked quite a few and he explained the differences between the dry ones (they need to be soaked first) and the fresher, moist ones. He said to cook and eat a small amount to begin with and make sure that there were no food allergy reactions. If everything was ok after that, then they could be seasoned to our liking. He also said never eat them without cooking them first.
Thanks to everyone for your input.
--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA
David Farber said:

"There are old mushroom hunters and bold mushroom hunters, but there are no old, bold mushroom hunters."
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

I totally agree, but the morel is the first mushroom we teach children. It's a shame I couldn't teach the "children" here.

If he had to consult a reference for morels he is NOT an expert!!!!!