Danger Lurking in Local Garden Centers

Page 1 of 3
I just "had" to go to the local Ace to pick up another jug of fish sauce for the tomatoes. When I came out I saw the first warning sign:
SALE!
Crap, it happens every friggin' year. I cannot resist. I thinks to meself, I'll just take a quick walk thru. Crap again, apple trees were reduced and several of them looked really fine. I have been pestering my sweetie for several years about planting a couple apples and haven't had any luck. I took the bull by the horns, and bought a Honeycrisp and a Royal Gala. I figgered to sneak 'em in and get them planted before she caught me. Maybe she wouldn't notice the side yard had sprouted a couple new trees.
Yeah, well she was looking out the kitchen window when I rolled in.
Busted.
Making deals after the transgression costs one dearly. (Hee hee... I got the trees though!)
"The trouble with gardening is that it does not remain an avocation. It becomes an obsession." -- Phyllis McGinley
Tread Carefully, you have been warned Charlie

I think they have patches that you can wear for that now, to reduce the desire for that kind of stuff. Maybe look into a twelve-step-program for people with similar perversions. We're with ya' Charlie.
Look at the time. I need to go to the nursery for some seeds. Maybe I'll look around a little.
- Bill

I could use some of those patches!! I drove by the local nursery today and felt like I was going thru withdrawels.

I have several of what my husband calls "...DARS"
Garden CenterDAR Hobby LobbyDAR
and other types of "DAR" except RAYDAR!

Our dear husbands.....we gotta love'em for putting up with our obsessions!

Yes, I have the best husband in the world. But, so does my girlfriend. Finally another happily married couple to do things with.

Yeah, right. You best be careful! There could be things other than pots being banged upon!
One would think that experience is a good instructor, but noooo.
Be careful, be very careful Charlie
One bite into a 'Honey Crisp' and all her wrath will melt away! I wish we could grow them down here in TX, but we can't. All we can plant are Granny Smiths and Delicious and they never produce anyway. I've paid as much as 3.00 for a pound of Honey Crisp. Mmmmmm mmmm.
On Sat, 26 May 2007 17:34:43 -0500, Charlie wrote:

Try Gala, fugi and dorsett golden, all low chilling.

True, but nothing like a Honey Crisp.
On 5/27/07 10:57 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

My cousins used to have a Winesap tree. Now, those were good eating.
On 5/26/07 6:34 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, "Charlie" <Charlie> wrote:

Loving spouses understand temptation and sticky pots.

Cheryl, you're a longtime wreck.gardener, so you know all about sticky pot syndrome. There is no cure (nor do we want one!), the only way to ease the symptoms is to buy that beautiful whatever and stick it in your own garden. Repeatedly! <G>
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Thanks Ann, tomorrow, we see how many pots stick when the gardening neighbor and I hit Lull Brook Farms for "heirloom tomatoes" and what ever else looks good.
AND - I think I found (maybe) a place to site the shrub I fell for, but left behind. It is Sambucus nigra 'Eva' http://www.colorchoiceplants.com/Black_Lace_Retailers.htm?gclid=CKmcyInws4wC FQMLVAodQSt7Sg

Cheryl, I had that last year, planted it in early spring, it didn't make it through the winter. I don't know if it was too dry or whether our whacky winter warmth/hard freeze did it in. I'm trying it again in a more sheltered spot this season.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Pambo forced Charlie to post this at: rec.gardens:

<snip humorous tale for space>
Gawd... I am a total sucker. Over the years I have learned to shop at the end of the season. I've gotten hardy mums for 50 cents, butterfly bushes for a buck. My garage is so full of gardening tools and gadgets I can barely get the cars in it but yet I go through the ritual every year. And this doesn't count what I buy from the nursery catalogs. This year alone I've separated and given away entire starter gardens to friends. I ought to just set up shop in the garage.
Michael
--
This is how it works in my house. Click the pic to enlarge it:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=42ko0mf
Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

and sells her "separates". Often makes enough money to buy some more plants.
George
On Sun, 27 May 2007 12:21:16 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"

I bought a greenhouse several years ago and now I see unusual perennials to the local garden centers. Still, I'm in trouble because by the time I leave the garden center I spend the money!

I wish they had a newsgroup for greenhouse owners. There's nowhere for us to go on Usenet.

To discuss? Do it right here. I would always discuss it since I spent most of my adult life in them.