Cucumber Flowers

Hi, my cucumber plant has dozens of male flowers but only 2 female ones - so it doesnt look like its going to fruit much! Any ideas how to get more female flowers?

centre and buy a plant with only female flowers.
Steve

I'm reasonably sure that I read on one of the gardening newsgroups that if you pinch the growing tips off their main stems curcubits will start producing female flowers. I haven't tried this, but if the cucumber vines have reached a good spread, this could be tried. -- John Savage (my news address is not valid for email)
How old are the plants? Mine didn't start putting out female flowers until the plants got fairly big. Now I have cukes everywhere.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Not going to fruit much? Are you kidding? How much fruitier do you want it to be? It's obviously a 10%er. But hey, if it's happy, who are you to judge? Don't ask. Don't tell. Definitly don't let the neighbors know. If they find out that you don't have a traditional garden, there could be heck to pay:-)
On 31 Jul 2006 03:27:27 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Be patient. They usually start with a bunch of male flowers before the females really start appearing.
--
Susan N.

On 31 Jul 2006 03:27:27 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I know little about cucumbers but I grow a type called Diva that prodces only females, no males needed for pollination. You can read about them here:
http://www.reimerseeds.com/diva-cucumbers.aspx
Oh yes, they are the only type I grow and I love cucumber sandwiches!
Keep them in mind for next year.