Courgettes...

Anyone else grown courgettes?

You see, I think I planted far too many this year. Seriously hundreds of them grew, and when we went away for a week we came back to find courgettes the width of watermelons and the about 2 feet long. We opted not to eat these monster cougettes as they didn't taste as good as the smaller ones...

Next year I think we'll stick to about 5 or so plants rather than 20...

Reply to
Mathink

Don't worry, most of us have done this when we started. If they are well grown 2 or 3 plants will do the average family. You must be disciplined and cut them daily, searching underneath so that none escape the knife. Aim to get them by the time they are 12cm (5in) long. Also try recipes for the baby fruit and flowers as you can afford to cut them at that stage. These are considered a delicacy and are often sought after by cooks.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Yep, most of us. I am down to just one plant each year. First year I planted ten.

Reply to
Dan L

I've found that five plants is a good number for me (feeding just one person.) It is partly a matter of having "critical mass" of male and female flowers open at the same time.

Reply to
Coffee's For Closers

LOL. 20 plants - that'd feed an institution. You must have a big family if you intend to plant 5 zucchini/courgettes. We normally plant 2 and the sodding things feed myself and husband and another family of 4 and I still need to try to find unlocked cars when I go out so I can put the remainder into.

Reply to
FarmI