Compost Making. Utterly Confused!!

Page 1 of 3
I took on an allotment plot earlier this year, and quickly cleared half of it to grow at least some crops this season whilst I intensively double-dig and clear the other half. All of that is going well.
So, now I want to make a compost bin. Eventually I plan to have 3.
I have scavenged 4 pallets each of which is 3ft x 4ft which I intend to use to build a box that is 3ft square and 4 ft high. One of the sides will be loosely (but securely) tied in so that it is removable for access.
But what to do next? I have read so much here and on google that I am utterly confused.
Firstly, should I line the box with something like lino or old carpet in order to keep the heat in or leave it as it is to allow for aeration?
Secondly, do I have to stick to a strict regime as to how I build up the layers? I was just thinking of simply piling in layers of stuff as and when I harvested crops throughout the season , maybe throw in some grass cuttings from home, maybe throw in paper from the shredding machine, maybe throw in some straw if it available.
Do I have to add accelerators? Do I have to add lime? Do I have to turn it? Do I add worms? Do I have to pee on it LOL!!
Making compost seems to have become such a scientific skill that I am now quite wary of even starting to do so, lest I end up with some smelly sickly sludge that it no good for anything.
Ed

Just dump it in a pile and keep it damp. Does not matter whether you layer it or otherwise.
It's really not rocket science. <g>
I personally use construction grade giant trash bags. Fill them and leave them open at the top. I let them sit for a year or so.
Makes great compost.
--
Peace! Om

I use leaves and leave it in the rain gutters for a couple of years. :-) Also makes great compost.

Lazy bastid. <giggles>
My neighbors did that. I was oh so tempted to hang a ladder over the fence and snag that baby wild chili petin I saw growing in the rain gutter on the corner of their house!
We raked a bunch of leaves into a corner of the yard once. Never did get around to bagging them. They composted down in less than 6 months, in the shade no less. Leave grass clippings on the lawn. They go away in less than two weeks, and enrich the lawn.
--
Peace! Om

Yet if you leave the kitchen trash on the front lawn, the neighbors will complain. Go figgur.

Smell control is a different subject.
If I dump kitchen garbage that I know will stink, it gets a little dirt or a layer of leaves over it.
Not necessary for composting.
I have a compost bucket in the kitchen. Food leavings (other than corn husks and cobs) never go in the kitchen trash. I don't like smelly trash cans. The small container for food scraps is covered and emptied more regularly.
It also keeps pets out of the trash.
--
Peace! Om

Mine go thru the ultimate composters, chickens and pigs. Pity you can't find them for $19.95 on late night tv.
snipped-for-privacy@nomail.please (JustTom) wrote:

Heh! I used to take that bucket out to the chicken yard when I had poultry! City ordinances changed over time and made it inconvenient to keep them any more.
No pigs allowed in the city limits.
--
Peace! Om

No. Only in the drive through lines at fast food restaurants.

<snicker> And Wal-mart.
--
Peace! Om

Composting is a verb... you compost to make humus.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/humus
In article

How do you build your compost/humus heaps Shel' baby?
--
Peace! Om

He talks into it.
David

Yes, and compost is a noun. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/compost Main Entry: com·post Function: noun Etymology: Anglo-French, from Medieval Latin compostum, from Latin, neuter of compositus, compostus, past participle of componere Date: 1587 1 : a mixture that consists largely of decayed organic matter and is used for fertilizing and conditioning land 2 : mixture, compound
On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 11:08:51 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

Look up "compost" in your merriam-webster and you will see...
Main Entry: com·post Function: noun
1 : a mixture that consists largely of decayed organic matter and is used for fertilizing and conditioning land 2 : mixture, compound
... as the first definition. Second definition is the verb form.
Sheldon wrote: snip...

And you mash chickpeas to make hummus...
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

That's why his gyros taste so awfull. He's been using compost.

A simple alternative is to dig a small trench. Put your kitchen scrapes into it, and then cover it back over.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Don't do that if you have black bears in the area. They'll find it and dig it up. My MIL could never figure out why she always had a bear in her yard...
I run my kitchen scraps through my hens, then use the end product in the garden.
Jan

Note to self: check for black bears ;O)
--

Billy