Chilis

i have about 8 Chilli plants in different pots some are 2.5 feet tall healthy looking and green. There are no flowers and no damn chillies! They get watered reguarly and are in the sun... what am i doing wrong?
please help!
--
Georgina7

Georgina7 wrote:

I don't know anything about them, but I suspect this is temperature related. You may wish to give some more climate data so someone else can offer an informed opinion.
Jeff

you have to speak to them in spanish... ORALE MI CUATE!!!!!!!
Jose Rosas;860989 Wrote: > On Aug 15, 3:15*am, Georgina7 snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk

> wrong?

estoy hablando en dos idiomas a estos tios y no hace nada
--
Georgina7

@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Temperature.
We've just started to get +25C or better days these past couple of weeks and ours started to blossom madly and set fruit.
London ON Canada
On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 09:15:26 +0100, Georgina7

Chilies require much heat and sun. I see by your headers you are located in an area that reportedly has a paucity of both. Our chili plants normally produce more than we can use but this summer has been relatively cool and wet and the chilies have failed to set fruit. We have in the past, during cool damp summers, used a cloche over our chilies and it has definitely helped. Just haven't gotten around to it this year but, we still have lots of dried and pickled chilies from last year. You might try an experiment on one of your plants. Tie a big, clear plastic bag over the plant, in effect making a mini greenhouse and see if that improves its performance.
Ross Southern Ontario, Canada. AgCanada Zone 5b 43 17' 26.75" North 80 13' 29.46" West
I am living in the north east corner of Wisconsin. The only way I can get a decent pepper crop is to plant the seedlings in black 2 gallon nursery pots and keep them on a south facing concrete wall, which acts as a heat reservoir through most of the night. I still end up brining them into the porch to get the fruit to ripen. Its fixing to be about that time.

Next year, try one of the rocotto ( black seed) chile for your climate
http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?submit=Search&chile=1&find=Rocoto&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any or http://tinyurl.com/n2wlky
http://rocoto.com/Growing%20General.html
http://www.g6csy.net/chile/growing.html
Georgina7 wrote:

They take warm days, above 80 F and warm nights, preferred is above 70 F. HTH
--
signature goes here

Don't forget fertilizer and check for insect pests like whitefly. ;-)

With sufficient water and fertilizer a plant may not feel the need to set fruit. Make sure that the surface soil is dry in your pots before you water, and "IF" you fertilize (at this time of the year), use a 0 - 10 - 10 (preferably organic).
--
When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the
poor have no food, they call you a communist.