chilies again

A few months ago me a Dutchman asked any tips on growing habanero peppers, well first of all here are the results thanks for your help, http://members.chello.nl/j.hutson/chilli.html But they are now turning from green to orange and I expect to harvest 20 to 30 within weeks, and hopefully more to follow. I could maybe use one a week. They are very hot. So what do I do with them? I can think of 3 options, Can I freeze chili peppers? How does one dry chili peppers? Has anybody ever pickled chili peppers? I have been to various cooking groups, no replies. Thanks Graham www.hutson.nl

Well if your dew point is 40 F. You could pull the plants and hang them upside down in a dry place. Very traditional .
http://ag.arizona.edu/OALS/ALN/aln29/soleri.html
http://www.infowest.com/business/g/gentle/storage.html
Otherwise a food dehydrator would be a consideration. Do chiles , fruits, meats etc. We do pears, pineapple, peaches, apples once did green peppers.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/2003-06-01/Choosing-a-Food-Dehyd rator.aspx
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
globalvoicesonline.org

Thanks Bill plenty of ideas, somebody on a cookery group said she makes pickled relish with Jalopeno peppers, I have asked for a recipe. Graham

I pickle Jalapeno peppers, but habenaros would be quite hot. If you can or pickle any other types of veggies you might try adding a pepper to the jar. I like pickled cauliflower with a habenaro added. It gives a zing. You can freeze them for later use. They do lose texture, but retain flavor and heat. Just slice them and freeze on a cookie sheet and then into airtight containers. That makes it easy to remove what you want to add to a soup or whatever. Do remember to wear gloves and avoid all sensitive body areas (your own and everybody elses) when working with habenaros!

Rick Can you give me a clue how you pickle peppers, vinegar and pickling spices? G.

Yes, that is about it. I use this simple recipe, but usually add things like garlic cloves or whatever sounds good.
4 c. white vinegar 1 c. water 1 c. olive oil 4 tsp. salt 4 tsp. pickling spices
Will make about 6 pints.
Pack peppers tightly in pint jars. Heat above ingredients to boiling. Pour into jars to within 1" of top. Put on lids and rings and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Graham wrote:

Yes they freeze well, they will soften but this is not likely to be a big problem if they are later to be cooked.

In the sun where the breeze can blow if the humidity is low otherwise in a dehydrator or a very slow oven (say) 60C

Yes, that works too. Any recipe for doing capsicum will do chillis.

David
On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 20:16:35 +0200, "Graham" wrote:

Yay!
In addition to the other great ideas, how about a really wicked sambal? You can find plenty of sambal recipes on the interwebs, but for a really simple one, just:
* remove stalk end, process chilis in blender briefly * finely chop "some" garlic (to taste) * mix both together with a little salt (say, tsp per litre sauce) * pack into a jar, allowing some head space * cover with a cloth, leave on bench to ferment 2-3 days * stir the sauce twice daily during fermenting * store in the fridge in a lidded jar
It'll last well in the fridge, and I'd imagine it would blow your socks off when added to anything you'd like to eat your chili with :)
(I prefer to make this with cayenne chilis, and it's plenty hot with them, so I'd imagine it'd be quite the ring burner with habaneros!)
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Under the big bright yellow sun" - Fat Boy Slim

Wow! what a great idea smoked chilies, thanks. Cloggie

I saved "Thos" post too. New trick for a old dog.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
globalvoicesonline.org
Thos wrote:

At this point I was worried about the effects on your lungs.

Ah! Very nice. I will have to try that.
Let them cool

This advice is always appropriate.
David