Celery in my garden

Hi, Our local store had celery to plant in the garden and so I did this year. However, I am not sure what to look for to determine if it is ready or not. I was told by someone that it is similiar to carrots and that the celery itself would grow underground, I was told by someone else that isn't the case. In any case, I am not seeing what looks like celery under the ground or above it. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Doogie

The stalks will be growing above ground though if they are not kept in a moist environment they may not produce well.

There is a type of celery called "cutting celery" that does not produce stalks...the leaves are used in salads.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

Celery would be above ground. Celeriac, or celery root, would be below ground. Further than that, I'm no help.

Reply to
doofy

When I have bought celery seedlings, they looked like little tiny celery bunches.

And they all grow above ground.

When they are ready, they look just like a celery bunch that is available from the local supermarket.

Perhaps you aren't giving it enough time? These things take weeks and weeks.

Reply to
Usenet2007

That could be, although they've been in the ground for a couple months now. With it being the middle of August I was thinking we don't have a ton of time left as far as vegetables producting goes. But I'm new to the celery aspect of this so am not real sure.

Reply to
Doogie