Celery in my garden

Hi, Our local store had celery to plant in the garden and so I did this year. However, I am not sure what to look for to determine if it is ready or not. I was told by someone that it is similiar to carrots and that the celery itself would grow underground, I was told by someone else that isn't the case. In any case, I am not seeing what looks like celery under the ground or above it. Any thoughts?
Doogie wrote:

The stalks will be growing above ground though if they are not kept in a moist environment they may not produce well.
There is a type of celery called "cutting celery" that does not produce stalks...the leaves are used in salads.
Lar
Doogie wrote:

Celery would be above ground. Celeriac, or celery root, would be below ground. Further than that, I'm no help.
In article
snipped-for-privacy@dtgnet.com says...

When I have bought celery seedlings, they looked like little tiny celery bunches.
And they all grow above ground.
When they are ready, they look just like a celery bunch that is available from the local supermarket.
Perhaps you aren't giving it enough time? These things take weeks and weeks.
--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com /

That could be, although they've been in the ground for a couple months now. With it being the middle of August I was thinking we don't have a ton of time left as far as vegetables producting goes. But I'm new to the celery aspect of this so am not real sure.