Catnip

So if I were to plant some catnip in my front yard, it would not *hurt* the cats, right?
On another note I wonder if it would deter or attract the neighborhood cats...Hmmm...Maybe if I planted it in the neighbors yard the cats would go there and crap...hmmm...

Is catnip the same as catmint?
Elizabeth wrote:

No.
Possibly. Generally, though, catnip is the whiteflowered one (Nepeta cataria), whereas catmint is either the tall or the low blueflowered one (Nepeta grandiflora, Nepeta x faassenii).
Henriette
--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed

My FLA friend bought a large catnip plant from home depot and kept it on her back patio in a pot for her cats. She lived in a large complex with lots of neighbors with lots of cats. Her two female (not fixed) cats would spend lots of leash time on the patio. So many cats would stop by to get high she had to get rid of it. It was hard enough already keeping the toms away.

We have wild catnip growing in our area of Wisconsin. Everybody always calls it "catnip" although it is technically a mint because it has a square stem. If my husband or I walk through it, when we take our shoes off, the next thing you know, our cats are licking the shoes, rubbing against the shoes, draping themselves over the shoes. And this goes on for hours. They even get into fights over who gets possession of the shoes. I'd hate to see what would happen if I actually brought some of the plant inside.
LeAnn
Share the view from Rural Route 2. . . Christmas In Dairyland To read sample chapters and other stories, click here: http://ruralroute2.com