Catalpa tree question

Years ago I used to get worms off of the leafs of these trees at a certain time of the year ( I can't remember which month) and use them for cat fish bait. They were about the best bait I ever have seen for cat fish. I haven't seen any of these leaf worms for many years. The question I have is do they only appear periodically every so many years? I've been watching but haven't seen any. Thanks for your opinions.
Joe, I used to use catalpa worms for bait when I was kid in central Ohio. I lived in a small town with several catalpa trees but we only ever found one tree that had the worms. A big catalpa 3 houses down the street seemed to always be worm free. The one tree that had worms seemed to have them every year. That was 30 years ago but I still look at that tree as I drive by when we visit my parents.
Steve ... now in the Adirondacks where the few catalpas I ever saw here died out one winter.