cabbage flowering - problem?

a few red cabbages survived the new jersey winter and are already growing fast. they had long shoots with buds which hadn't flowered yet, which I cut off. will I still be able to get cabbage heads?

I don't see why not. :-) It's not like they turn toxic or anything, but they may be a bit bitter. Break off a little bit of leaf and try it raw to see.
I have the same problem with basil. I cut off the flower buds so I can continue to harvest it.
--
Peace!
Om

"My mother nevers saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch."
Sorry, no heads. Cabbages are biennial, flowering & producing seed the second year. Steve

stephen, does that mean that I shouldn't have cut off the seed stems?
only if you need the seeds and don't need the space. Every spring I am tempted to wait for kale seeds, so I don't have to buy a packet this year. But that means leaving the patch unused into July, and most of the time it is better to buy seeds and replant.
Only if you wanted seeds.

First time to hear for this Idea.. Interesting.. Better leave to take the seed to see what can come up next year from those seed.
Powerless Agronomist wrote:

This discussion makes me wonder how edible (or not) cabbage seed pods would turn out to be? Pods from some cabbage relatives aren't too bad.
steve
turns out the leaves are pretty tasty, even as the seed 'n flower shoots go sky-high...