Brussels sprouts - need your input!

Hi everyone,
This is a call for anyone interested in growing (and cooking/eating) brussels sprouts.
I am a journalism student and over the past few months have been running a series of websites for people who love brussels sprouts (as opposed to the traditional hating clichee) - it's all part of a project for my MA which I've called "Sprout it from the Rooftops".
Great over Christmas - loads of stories of cooking, burger king "sprout burgers", etc. - and now that the planting season is starting, I'm taking the plunge and growing my own.
Does anyone have any tips for me? Or any dos and don'ts or stories they could share about brussels sprout growing? So far I have a box out on the patio and my flatmate and I are keeping them nice and damp especially in the hot weather at the moment.
And take a look at the websites too!
Sprout lovers you are not alone! | Sprout it from the Rooftops (that's the blog - feel free to comment!)
Anmelden | Facebook (that's the facebook page - feel free to join!)
and there's a twitter to follow too... @loveasprout
--
Ellie Sprout

Ellie Sprout wrote:

Keep yours eyes open for cabbage moth, the grubs can turn your brassicas into green threads surrounding holes. If they are prevalent in your area you will need to spray regularly or enclose the plants in mesh to prevent the moths from laying on them.
David
PS What is a clichee?
:-)
'David Hare-Scott[_2_ Wrote:

Hey David - thanks! How long have you grown sprouts? We've got an absolutely mini garden (crammed with herbs and strawberry plants at the moment!) so they're just in boxes/small border beds.
And a "clichee" - that's my key sticking on a "cliche" - oops ;)
--
Ellie Sprout

Ellie Sprout wrote:

Not long. I can't stand them. I grow them for SWMBO some years.

    Brussels sprouts (and other brassica) are wintertime veggies where I live. I've tried growing them from time to time with little success: Where I am in Florida, U.S., we don't have enough successive cool days for Brussels sprouts to thrive. Same same for broccoli, although, cauliflower produce often enough that most winters, I try a few but with only moderate success.     Right now, in the nearest supermarket, sprouts from Mexico are fetching (U$)3.49/lb but not from me. They're ancient; been away from Mamma far too long; all wilty and stuff. Lord knows, the little cuties are hard enough to gag down when fresh....
--
Derald

UUUMM Yummy, brussel sprouts,

From childhood I hated them the way mom cooked them. They should be quickly steamed and served with lemon juice. They should be crunchy. Maybe a hit of mrs dash.
Greg
In article

Definitely, should still be crunchy. I'd go with lemon juice, butter, and a little bit of parmesan.
--
- Billy

Bush's 3rd term: Obama plus another elective war

From childhood I hated them the way mom cooked them. They should be quickly steamed and served with lemon juice. They should be crunchy. Maybe a hit of mrs dash.
Greg
Sounds good to me.
Gz;919898 Wrote:

That sounds delicious - have you tried with lime and orange? Someone just suggested the recipe on the Sprout it on the Rooftops facey b page and I've posted it to 'Sprout it from the Rooftops | Lovers of brussels sprouts unite' (http://loveasprout.wordpress.com ).
--
Ellie Sprout

On 05/01/11 11:19 AM, sometime in the recent past Ellie Sprout posted this:

They grow well in Maine. Less bothered by Cabbage Moths than other brassicas, IMHO. Favorite variety is Olivers.
Saute some salt pork, cut sprouts in half (extra large in quarters) and saute about 10 mins. Add some white wine (dry sherry) and a dash of balsamic vinegar. Crack some pepper on them when served. Blanched for 3 mins., they freeze well.
--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3

Having never grown them before, I grew them in the summer/fall, and was waiting to harvest any until after frost. I thought you weren't supposed to harvest any of them until after that, for better flavor. Huge mistake.
I planted some seeds indoors nearly 2 months back, and am getting ready to plant the plants now. This time around, I'll be picking them as soon as they are ready on the plant.
Oh, and my wife and I love them very well steamed, which seems to get rid of any bitterness they might have.

Why was it a mistake? I often pick mine around Thanksgiving in upstate NY.
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G

Nearly all of them seemed "overripe", and bitter. I think they would probably be more tender when picked at an earlier age, and smaller. Mine seemed to slowly mature from the bottom of the stock up, over several weeks. By waiting to harvest, I essentially ended up with a lot of sprouts that were not of a quality I like to eat.