Best tiller?

Anybody have any recommendations as to the best medium-priced tiller for the money?
Anybody have any recommendations as to the best medium-priced tiller for the money?
Anybody have any recommendations as to the best medium-priced tiller for the money?
milwaukeeblues wrote:

posting problems with google? (just curious about the 3 posts).
As for the tiller. How big of an area are you working with? What kind of initial soil?
--
Steve

If you can't beat 'em, they're not tied down properly.

Small gardens can be turned with a stout potato fork. Tillers are oft used to keep the area btwn rows clean of weed, but if you keep a mowable grass-strip between 4' beds, you can save yourself a lot of work.

Best and medium priced? Either buy the best - troy built or get something less.
It really depends on your soil type and the area you are talking about. Use the guide below to figure out what type of tiller you need and then search on price since that seems to be your driver.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=BuyGuide/tiller.html#2
snipped-for-privacy@nevermindspring.com (Charles Quinn) wrote:

Unfortunately, that no longer applies. Troy-Bilt used to be one of the best North American made tillers but they went belly up. Current production Troy-Bilt equipment, including tillers, is just more inferior quality MTD. One of my local Troy-Bilt dealers made the comment that even MTD's advertising literature is now lighter than Troy-Bilt's used to be. I've had a Troy-Bilt 8HP Horse for the last 14 years and it still runs like the day I brought it home. I don't foresee any need to replace it in my lifetime but, if I did, it wouldn't be with an MTD product. A Grillo 107 or a BCS 732 would be my choice.
Ross. To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.
On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 11:47:13 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@forteinc.com wrote:

Just to be fair, you can get a lemon or a delight in any brand. I had a Troy-Bilt that was purchased before the company went under...it lasted exactly 2 seasons then seized up & croaked. It was quite a small one. I used it for beds. It bucked like a bronco.
I replaced it recently with an electric one from Remington and I have been happy with that. You can't do the north 40 with something like that, but it serves its purpose well.
Boron
A used Troybilt. The bigger the better. The new ones are not heavy enough.
John!
milwaukeeblues wrote:

I was taught not to till (UC Davis- cooperative extension) You disturb the structure of the ground, bring weed seeds to the surface, etc. Not to mention gardening is so much easier when your back isn't aching. HTH Nicole

Try to find a good used Troy-Bilt, one made before Gardenway's Troy-Bilt brand was taken over by MTD. Or, if you want to spend a bit more and get one that will outlast you and your heirs, check out Grillo and/or BCS.
Ross. To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.