ants & beetles in corn

My sweet corn has ants and these giant beetles sucking on the flowers. The stalks look yellowed. I suppose these parasites need to be controlled. What can I use to get rid of these bugs?

Reply to
higgledy

Try garlic tea, it will take care of most beetles. If that doesn't work right away, use garlic/pepper tea. Last resort, because it actually kills the bugs and also kills beneficial insects is garlic/pepper tea with orange oil.

Make sure that the beetles are actually harm> My sweet corn has ants and these giant beetles sucking on the flowers.

Reply to
BillHew

I looked more closely at my corn --they are loaded with aphids!

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
higgledy

I have an ant invasion on my okra and I've tried everything I can think of. Garlic/Pepper tea, the Howard Garrett recipe, doesn't even phase them.

Reply to
J.C.

I've never seen okra harmed by ants, generally they're after aphids, and other tiny insects. We have them all the time and just tap the okra with a stick to dislodge them while we cut the pods. That's so we won't get bit.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

IIRC, ants sometimes "farm" aphids and other insects that create a sweet product the ants can eat. I wouldn't automatically view the ants as friends.

Reply to
Harry Chickpea